RST/Raid VS AHCI Single NVMe drive (There's a significant difference!)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Lamim Rashid, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Lamim Rashid

Lamim Rashid Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My dude, you have no idea what you're talking about. I'm not talking about RAID 0/1 or any of those multi drive arrays. The only confused person here is you. I'm talking about a motherboard setting that allows you to override the AHCI protocol your drive controller uses to use Intel's RST drivers. I don't know why you try to continue arguing when you don't have any idea what you're talking about. I'm not the only person here who's tried to clear your confusion. Not sure if you're just choosing not to read what's being said or just choosing to be ignorant on purpose. My laptop doesn't even supported raid with multiple drives. All the tests I've done here IS SINGLE DRIVE.

PS there is a difference. The whole point of all my testing was to see if there was a difference. Don't just arbitrarily say there isn't based on a guess. Especially when there's hard data and testing for you to see right there. And a very well informed explanation that I shared with you in my last response which I'm convinced your just choosing to ignore or just not read.

2. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    read the last part of my last reply before jumping on replying. i already stated if you talk about single drive for ahci vs raid mode, there are other factors involved which result in difference in performance that isn't coming from ahci vs raid.

uefi vs legacy, gpt vs mbr also affects performance, though difference is small. there is NO difference between AHCI mode and raid mode for a single drive, you'd crazy to think if such a large difference comes from different mode which might be coming from your hardware itself.

3. Lamim Rashid

Reputations:
    Read the last part of mine instead instead of entirely ignoring a very good explanation of the difference in AHCI and RST modes.

Also those things have nothing to do with my testing because I was strictly using UEFI/GPT.. why do you keep talking about random things that aren't relevant. It's like you're just saying the most advanced things you can think of then hoping you sound right lol.

4. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    i already did, i think you're not reading my reply properly though.

since you seem to be convinced that your findings are correct, i'll leave you with this. I am running on windows 8 and I don't use uefi so im on AHCI and mbr. not uefi and gdp, and performance is within 1-2% difference at best.

but i'll leave the rest to your own imagination.

5. Lamim Rashid

Reputations:
    Again I implore you to reread the explanation I provided from that Reddit comment I linked. If you don't understand what's being said there I think it's better we drop this discussion till you have a better understanding of the topic at hand because I don't think I'm explaining things for you to understand well enough because of most of the things you've talked about have been incredibly misinformed, different or not related to what was being tested or discussed here.

6. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    maybe you should read it again cause you're missing out on something, rather than quoting parts of it you don't like.

7. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Just for fun I did this same experiment on my Aero 15x. Interestingly I had zero improvement on my SX8200 but better results on the stock Transend 512GB TS512GMTE510T SSD that comes in the laptop. I ran AS SSD and CDM 6.0.2 three times each to get the averages:

Results.png

A little difficult to read, but you can see some decent read improvements on the TS512.

ssj92 and tilleroftheearth like this.