ROUND #2 - Alienware 17 R4 - 6820HK/1070M - Dead Motherboard

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Maxed Out, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Maxed Out

Maxed Out Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So today I sit down to get work done and my machine is off... OK no big deal... nope, it's a big deal. The motherboard that I replaced back in 2018, well it is burnt out too. Same VRM section, one choke/mosfet over.

[​IMG]

@Dell-Mano_G You guys have a problem on your hands. Granted this is an older machine now, but I have now had 2 boards burn out in 4 years of ownership of what is supposed to be a high-end laptop. This board is either defective by design or negligence on the designer's part. There is no way in hell this would be acceptable on a Precision machine, why do we get the shaft? And I know I am unlucky, but this would be like buying Powerball tickets and then having the lotto commission come to my house with a bill for someone else's winnings!

To make life more miserable, my backup Latitude E7250 has that stupid dying screen, where it looks like you took it swimming but obviously didn't. I am down to one functional computer from 3, it is an XPS 13 (9370). I can no longer recommend Dell machines to my bosses or my clients anymore. I will start planning to phase out our PowerEdge units to SuperMicro, it was time to upgrade anyway. As for the laptops, back to ThinkPad and eGPUs this time.

2. Muezick

Muezick Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    >defective design

Bingo.

3. Zeigeist

Zeigeist Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hello, i had the same problema 1 month ago, 3 years old alienware the one with the gtx 1080, i sent it to repair to 3 diferent ppl, the first two couldnt solve the problema and the third person tell me it can be fix, but the other 2 damaged more the motherboard, because pieces are missing,etc., after i get an answer i can tell u what was it, so u can try it to, the problema in mine is also a short circuit, i was wondering about the thing u said about u got the warranty extention, u cant use it now??, i read u got one in ur previous topic. sorry for my english is not my native language.

i forgot to tell u, i love this Brand before this happened…. this is my second laptop alienware, the first one was a 14m r2, wich i got in 2012 and still is working properly have 0 problems, is the one that im typing right now, just upgrade it a bit now since their Young sister die... perhaps is this model like muezick said.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  4. Maxed Out

Maxed Out Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am sorry to hear that you are having a similar problem. I have contacted a few board level places and they say that because the part that blew is in the VRM, the processor is most likely fried. They have seen a few others and this was the case. I never did get the extended warranty, really should have. If I had gotten it I would have another problem on my hands... I now live in the Dominican Republic and the aduanas on this machine would be crazy.

I do believe the problem is related to the series (Alienware 15 R3 & Alienware 17 R4) but at the prices of these machines, we should expect the same level of thought, planning, and quality control as the Precision series. These are not Inspirons or Vostros and I for one, have higher expectations, like a $3000 machine lasting longer than 1-2 years.

5. Maxed Out

Maxed Out Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have recovered/backed up all the drives from my Alienware 17 R4, but in the process of doing so, I found one of my 10TB HDDs had bad sectors and that a USB C cable is damaged as well. Those new items are not related to the motherboard failing in the laptop, just a very unfortunate coincidence.

I will not be repairing the motherboard, I will be building a desktop PC instead while keeping my 1080 Ti from the Amplifier and all my SSDs.

Planned specs on new machine:
    AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
    ASRock X570 Creator
    Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 64GB (2x32GB) RGB Kit - White
    Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 64GB (2x32GB) RGB Kit - Black (to be bought at a later date)
    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 (to potentially be replaced by a Fractal Design S36+ Prisma)
    Fractal Design Define S2 White
    SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Platinum 750W
    PNY GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (already own)
    3x 10TB Seagate IronWolf NAS (already own)
    1x Samsung 960 Pro 2TB (already own)
    1x Samsung 850 Pro 2TB (already own)

My monitor plans are 3x LG 43" UM7300/UN7300 TVs, just because I am damaged.

6. Zeigeist

Reputations:
    Well the guy i sent my laptop said that i need to get this mosfet BG0174, those were the ones that burn out, anyone know where can i get those???

7. ll_r1d0_ll

ll_r1d0_ll Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ebay or Aliexpress . Try getting a clearer picture of the MOSFET. I will find that part for you

8. Zeigeist

Reputations:
    thks, as soon as he send me, ill upload

ll_r1d0_ll likes this.
  9. Zeigeist

Reputations:
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
  10. ll_r1d0_ll

ll_r1d0_ll Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi there , sorry for the late reply. I cannot clearly see the MOSFET number .. is it possible for you to turn the flash light on and put a drop of alcohol on the MOSFET ( which is on the RIGHT side of the broken one ) and then take a picture so that the LETTERS can be read CLEARLY on the MOSFET?Secondly i dont see any issue with those BULBS xD those are capacitors actually and try to take a clear picture next time that would be better
    EDIT: Nvm, found it from schematics . Its MDU1512RH_POWERDFN56-8-5 (on schematics) and here is the link if u want to order from EBAY or just search for MDU1512RH .

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Teknobry likes this.