ROG Strix GL503 and GL703 gaming laptops

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by hmscott, Sep 18, 2017.

1. ranjim

ranjim Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is that the one with 1070? How are the temps and the screen?

2. Unusual

Unusual Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello guys, asking for help to choose!
    I'm confused between three options, I really like 17' screens and the 1070 is much better in the long run.

rog gl503VS: 1070 but 15 inches

rog gl703VM: 1060 and 17 inches

rog gl702VS: 1070 and 17 inches but bad keyboard layout and back-lighting and terrible thermals

I don't care about the price, weight and design and I it must be ASUS to pick from. Shall I compromise the screen size for the performance or get a 1060 and wait 5 years to switch again or pick the old model and live with terrible keyboard ?

I use my laptop as a desktop replacement and my usage is browsing the net, watching tons of media and coding from time to time. Your opinions are highly appreciated.

3. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Personally - I see no point in a 1070 since when next gen drops it will be just as outdated as the 1060. Look at the 960M and 970M - both are equally outdated now.

4. BeastOG

BeastOG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It gets warm under extended load, but nothing crazy. The screen is nice, and you only really see backlight bleed when you're starting the computer up, it's fairly nice for what it is. I don't have any complaints.

Yes, but according to nvidia, they won't be dropping new cards for a while, since they consider pascal to be the cream of the crop for the foreseeable future. Probably not till late 2017 early 2018. In the meantime, we'll probably just get refreshes.

ranjim likes this.
  5. BeastOG

BeastOG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So a couple things. Based on what you're saying you'd use it for, it honestly doesn't seem like you would need a gaming laptop. Even if you did want to stick with asus, you could always go with the zenbook line, and get a more premium feel for your money. Also the thermals on the 502/702 are just fine, nothing amazing but good for what it is. Lastly, if you're dead set on a gaming laptop, but don't care about the weight, the 752 series should have some good sales going for it this week with black friday, and everything about that is computer is damn good. You should be able to get it pretty cheap compared to normal.

6. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    There is always something right around the corner, but in this case I tend to agree. I don't think buying top end or right now is a very good idea. Intel will be releasing 6 core mobile CPUs sooner rather than later, and we might even see yet another Paxmaxwell refresh with the latest rumors. If you don't NEED a laptop today, wait 6 months with current config. Pascal has been out a very long time.

That said even a 970m is still a very capable 1080p gaming laptop. The 1070 is a total beast in most games, including those AAA titles. If the price difference is small like sub $150 get the 1070 vs the 1060, it crushes it.

hmscott, ranjim and don_svetlio like this.
  7. ranjim

ranjim Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Could anyone verify if the new GL703VM variants have 120hz + gsync? And is the panel model N173HHE-G32 (CMN1747)?

8. fayth

fayth Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Borto88 likes this.
  9. Spacejockey

Spacejockey Newbie

Reputations:
    You can wait six months or longer to buy an updated Pascal laptop, but then you're stuck in the exact same situation because the new Volta cards might come out in another six months.

praetorianx likes this.
  10. silverwolf0

silverwolf0 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah no. The pascal jump was big but don't expect another one of those for a few years. Intel is just adding more cores. It doesn't mean much for gaming right now and probably not that much more in the future.

praetorianx likes this.