ROG GX800 LAPTOP

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by cj_miranda23, May 30, 2016.

1. cj_miranda23

cj_miranda23 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  2. cj_miranda23

cj_miranda23 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    A short video clip of the GX800VG announcement found by @triturbo

Asus ROG GX800 Gaming Laptop At Computex 2016

Also posted here:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...00m-series-gpus.763032/page-330#post-10267002

Update: I found someone that carried the Asus 2016 Computex presentation Live, it starts at 30:25, and the GX800VG shows up at 48:10
    Asus Republic of Gamers ROG 2016 Computex Keynote Live Stream (Press Conference + Commentary)

45:10 G31 Edition 10 - 2 x 1080 SLI Desktop w/171% scaling
    51:10 New Strix 1080

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    triturbo likes this.
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    It doesn't look any bigger than the GX700VO 17" laptop, checkout the video clip and full presentation posted in this thread to see for yourself :)

5. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    apparently its 18.4" i think. but some source say it'll come with dual PSU so that solves 1 biggest issue that msi gt80 couldnt solve LOL.

too bad still only 4.4ghz while clevo can go upwards 5ghz =(

time to wait for MSI see their update on gt80s line up, it'll be interesting to see what they got for offer now.

mason2smart and hmscott like this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    The photos posted in this thread show a side view with the two hunky power cables connected - one to the laptop and one to the cooler - each 330w = 660w :)

The photo's showing the head on, with the screen / keyboard seems to be a 17" screen, not an 18", but I suppose it's possible.

It's been along time since I had an 18" Asus W90vp-a1

It would be great if Asus came out with a larger than 17" screen laptop :)

7. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    The GX800 suggests 18", since something5something and something7something are 15" and 17" respectively.

Not the best solution if you ask me.

That's the stock overclocking. I think that there's manual tuning, would love to see if it can go higher and how much.

ole!!! and hmscott like this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    The GX700 was already taken, GX701 also, I think Asus wanted to differentiate the lines due to the SLI angle.

I hope it's 18" too :)

That is a 6820HK, normally stable at 4ghz on air, some lucky guys say 4.3ghz, but IDK if that is gaming stable, or "wow look at that!!" stable.

I would think 4.4ghz with that CPU is about it, especially since it's a 45w TDP CPU, so long compute use at highest clock is gonna downclock quickly and well below what it could run at long term if you started it lower to begin with.

45w TDP would likely be 3.5ghz/3.6ghz long term stable clock maximum.

I am surprised Asus didn't use the 6920HQ, which also overclocks, as that is what MSI uses in their GT80S 980 SLI laptop.

The power distribution is likely to avoid someone plugging both 330w PSU's into the laptop, and then try to run it without water-cooling :)

9. Red Line

Red Line Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    4.4Ghz may be for 1 core, may be 30sec load speed then throttle down to less then 4ghz, we'll see. What really interests me most is how asus want to improve watercooling on this thing. Did anyone see notebookcheck review on GX700? There was a small single WC pipe on top of GPU die heatsink. That's it. That massive dock helped to reduce ONLY gpu temps by 10-15C tops. Sadly...

If anyone saw what a watercooled pc looks like on the web should understand that asus simply invested in marketing with GX700.

I understand the difference in dimensions between laptop and desktop but some serious redisign has to bemade by asus in order to cool all those components this time around.

Also, if there's no point in using this laptop without dock, there should be a switch to disable those NV gpus.

Cost? I guess close to 6k)) But interior looks better then G752, nevertheless!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

ole!!! and hmscott like this.
  10. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    I would guess the watercooling is the same design, since the machine looks just as thin.

Well, there's a GX800 mouse :p

I HATE this kind of "stable".

Wait, you can't change the TDP on ANY HK or vendor specific? If by default the HK has locked TDP then it's not a K at all, and in no way replacement to the old XM/MX series. What's the point of playing with multipliers and voltages if you are limited to certain TDP? With overclocking you want more heat, whether or not you'll be able to handle it, is up to you and your machine.

Does it reach higher in terms of overclocking? To be honest I haven't dug deep in the BGA CPUs.

I was thinking something like two power ports in the dock and only one on the system (where the dock meets the system). This way you wont be able to use 2 PSUs undocked, since there's only one port and the adapter box is built into the dock, so you can't get this one out either, at least not without destroying it because it would most likely be part of the rest of the dock's inner workings - fan controller, pump controller and etc.

ole!!! likes this.