ROG, Alienware, MSI

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Kasper Holm, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kasper Holm

Kasper Holm Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello!
    Im sorry if this is a common question but i failed to find a satisfying answer to which to choose :)

Im traveling alot in work (150 or 200 nights a year in hotel rooms), and I have been looking for a way to transport a desktop computer in a pleasant way. After much research, questions and even attempts... I noticed this was a really, really, reaaaallyyy bad idea.

So now I´m looking for a laptop computer.

I´m going to carry it around in a big backpack between hotels (Everki Titan) and then it will sit in my room most of the time. I´m currently looking to buy a Surface Pro 4 as a mobile device and have the big laptop as gaming "rig".

I will start engineering school in 2 or 3 years (computer or mechatronics) and hopefully this computer will survive long enought to be used for that too (wishful thinking)

For it to survive 2-3 years is important to me so I´m willing to spend some extra money to secure that (futureproofing).

The specs I´m looking for is I7 processor, GTX 1070 graphics, 16 gb ram, GSYNC, atleast 256 mb ssd with atleast 1 tb hard drive, USB C port and sd card slot is important. I would prefer if it did not have cd rom/blue ray.

Atleast 17 inch screen, battery time is not important, good customer-support/help when it breaks is important. I´m currently looking for a great screen non touch 1080P, it is important that it keeps cool and does not have to much fan noise (a big body does not matter)

It will be used to type on alot (documents, programming), I will do some light video editing but mostly game on it.

Im living in Sweden and are looking to spend around 2000 dollar (Ca 20 000 swedish kronor). Because of where i live some laptop brands are not possible to buy for me (razer, clevo etc.)

If i should wait a couple of months (until Ryze this summer for example), I could

At the moment I have the following sugestions.

MSI GT72VR 6RE-022NE 17.3" FHD i7-6700HQ / GTX 1070 8GB / 16GB / 1TB+ 256GB SSD
    This is the cheapest of them (atleast 200 dollar cheaper), it is also the one I´m leaning towards buying at the moment. I heard that it has a habit of breaking (any experience?)

ASUS ROG G752VS-BA171T i7-6700HQ / 16GB / 256GB SSD / GTX 1070 8GB
    A friend of mine got two defective copies in a row (bad luck or bad brand?)

And the last one is an Alienware with the same specs but without GSYNC,

can someone please help me i would be very happy :), sorry if i forgot any information

2. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    The GT72 is a great machine. The Asus probably does have QC issues. The Alienware is alright but they did have some heating issues. Little bit more of a risk than the MSI.

3. Kasper Holm

Kasper Holm Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

4. Beemo

Beemo BGA is totally TSK TSK!

Reputations:
    I agree with @Galm, MSI seems to be your best bet atm, the only downside is that MSI laptops flex like king.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  5. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    My vote goes towards the Alienware - heat issues are mostly resolved and if you buy from a company like HIDevolution, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

6. Beemo

Reputations:
    I want to know more about this. Any official announcement?

Papusan likes this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    More like 3 of 5 have issues (60%). Why should it be better now? AW ceo Azor claimed the problem was resolved with models from primo 7 Dec last year!! Soon finished with February 2017.

8. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    I do agree, I don't trust it completely enough yet to recommend it.

Beemo likes this.
  9. Beemo

Reputations:
    Finished product does it mean they have replaced the uneven heat sinks, as well as the screen banding in all of their AW laptops specifically the AW 17?

10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Notebookcheck have newly reviewed Aw15 with the Kaby BGA upgrade. Same problem as before!! Soon finished with February. Half a year after the Awbook's was put on Dell's website the problem is still there. 20-30-40 or 60% with heat issues doesn't matter. Even if the numbers were 5-10% is bad.

Aroc and Beemo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.