Robs rant and rave thread against anything that isn't a Toughbook!

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Rob, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alecgold

Alecgold Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I had been using Apple laptops for 5 years. I started when Vista came out and my Toshiba laptop craped out on me. But after 5 years and 7 laptops, i had the latest and greatest MacBook air 11" failing within 5 months. Little crack in the mobo and €1050 repair. Everything is soldered on the mobo; i7 processor, blade ssd, memory, everything. I have to say they did it for free, but what good is a free repair if I need to buy a new laptop because the old one is back in the shop for three weeks. Since that day I've been using my thoughbook with much satisfaction and pleasure. It's a lot like its owner: it might not be the prettiest around, but it gets the job done no matter what, reliable and speedy!

Another example: colleague of mine did buy a MacBook Pro 15" retina some months ago. Everything on it, every extra and option was selected, over €3000!!!! He had the laptop on his night stand the third day and the cat jumped on it. Laptop fell, all 40cm/16"!!! Onto a wooden floor. Result is a bent hinge and a deformed corner of the screen. He was lucky the screen didn't scatter.

My cf-19 dropped from a flight of stairs, from my desk, from a lathe and from the coffee table. Result? Nothing. After 2,5 years or daily (ab)use there is some paint worn at the bottom, I buy a new battery every year and use the old one as a spare. Oh, and I need to replace the screen protector. Much better than every year a new apple laptop. How nice the osx might be and how beautiful the design might be, it's not worth the trouble of replacing your laptop every 7-11 months.

2. capt.dogfish

capt.dogfish The Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    You guys be nice to Karen (KCETech1). She knows whereof she speaks and when I had to go forum diving over on the "Dark (Apple) Side" for some MacBook advice, she was one of the few who responded with actual advice as opposed to "Apple Fan" KoolAid.
    CAP

KCETech1 and EdFromBJCS like this.
  3. harveya

harveya Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    One thing I know with a Toughbook, I don't need any additional protection, with everything else you need to be careful - smartphones get an Otterbox as did my Samsung Tablet.

Plus Toughbooks can even cope with my somewhat ham fisted approach to working on them (my fingers are definitely not pianists' ones - much too fat - mind you I have completely totalled a CF-19 motherboard by being a complete numpty that just shows that nothing is completely me proof.:eek:

4. chalkface

chalkface Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello all

I have just signed up to become a member after reading this thread...some of you guys seem very passionate about your toughbooks and so i thought maybe if you have 2 mins spare someone could point me in the right direction.

I have about 6 or 7 thinkpads, including T40 (x2), T42 (x2), T60 (x3) a T410 and an asus low budget crappy thing that broke as soon as the warranty expired. All my thinkpads were bought second hand because i foolishly believed they would be okay, since so many consider them the ultimate in durability. Well out of the 6 or 7 thinkpads i have only 1 still works....this T42 15inch screen offering i am typing on now. I am so hacked off with broken thinkpads that I am going to buy a toughbook and see how that fares....I am in vietnam and have found a reputable website with a dozen or so toughbooks...all second hand and for the most part dirt cheap by the looks of it.. But i really have no idea which one to buy...I am very up to scratch when it comes to thinkpads (they are all crap is what I now think), but the field of toughbooks really is new ground for me.

If i post a link to the webpage below could someone please open it and take a quick look at the various models and tell me which in your opinion would be the one to buy...cos i really havent a clue. I did spend a few hours this morning doing some toughbook research but i dont feel any the wiser for it...It would be great if someone could just say "get that one because...." and i will get on my honda moped and go and get it...it's miles away so I thought it best to figure out which one is the one i want before making such a long trip...the roads here are a nightmare at best of times..

.I know this is a lot to ask...so for the purpose of me not coming across as a lazy git i have typed out the various models below....1 thru 15.....the link to the webpage is also below but it seems to me a bit of a pisstake to just waltz onto this forum and in my first post ask that people follow a link and give me free info from that link...I know it's not much but i have listed the various models below to scan quick, and also slapped the link on here too in case anyone is curious and wants to have a look.

BTW in vietnam the currency is dong...and 2,000,000 dong (2 million dong) is equal to 100 dollars USD. So most of the laptops shown are pretty cheap.

Just as a bit of a guide...all my computing needs are easily served by a standard thinkpad T60 with 2GB ram...I need nothing in the way of card slots or ultrabays or special graphics or infra red ports or anything like that. Just a basic no frills machine that can handle multiple site web surfing and photoshop and has 2 or more USB ports....screen not under 13inch would be nice but maybe the best buy is a 12 inch so fair enough....12 inch screen or 15 inch screen its all the same to me (nearly)...I just want a laptop that lasts a couple of years without breaking......I used to be a thinkpad fan but no more....I am hunting for 100% Jaoanese laptop that is built to last...durability being my top priority.

so based on that can anyone tell me which would be the best choice....really guys I would appreciate any light you can shed on this

the link is:

LAPTOP PANASONIC

and the list of models are as follows

1# Panasonic CF-N9 core i5

2# Panasonic Toughbook CF-C1 i5-2520

3# Panasonic Toughbook CF-30

4# Panasonic CF-S10

5# Panasonic CF-W7 2Gb

6# Panasonic CF-T7

7# Panasonic CF-R7 10"

8# Panasonic CF-W8

9# Panasonic CF-74 P8600

10# Panasonic CF-74

11# Panasonic cf-29

12# Panasonic CF-T8

13# Panasonic ToughBook CF-52

14# Panasonic CF-Y5

15# Panasonic CF Y7 (after the model number it says "these are just in and look like new")

I dont really want to spend more than 300 bucks, so thats 6 million, but I mean if anyone thinks there is an absolute "must-buy" among that lot and its over 300 bucks then fair enough I will definitely consider it.....dont need anything totally bomb proof...just want something that wont fail under normal day to day usage....it will be used at home for the most part..no sandstorms or arctic expeditions etc...im not in the military

so can anyone help me out here.....like i said anything about the same as a standard T60 with 2 GB ram is fine.

really would appreciate this...i gotta clean the house before my other half gets back from work but i know i will still be scratching my head and looking at multiple reviews and threads come 8pm tonight....that is unless one of you guys can point me in the right direction.....

okay.....cheers and all the best

5. capt.dogfish

capt.dogfish The Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    Welcome to the forum. I'm not up on Thinkpads so some one else will have to advise you on the best replacement. When I convert Dongs to dollars your budget seems to be around $150 so the guys won't have to figure that out. The only Rugged model in your range would seem to be a CF-29 ("Rugged laptops of the American military, unspoilt rolling car, tiger bite elephant crushed but still works fine,"). I don't know much about the smaller Toughbooks either and I'm not sure the little ones are much more durable than the Thinkpads.
    CAP
    (I couldn't help myself, really)

6. harveya

harveya Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'd agree with the Capt, CF-29 or possibly a CF52. The CF-52 is pretty tough - used a 51 for quite a while as an everyday machine and it's certainly tougher built than my Work Thinkpad. Now got a CF-53 as an everyday machine and it's great. My 51 was running 4GB memory (only 3.6 accessible with 32 Bit Windows 8) but was pretty fast (Mk3 running with a 2GHZ Core Duo).

Good luck, wouldn't bother with the smaller ones as they won't come in any tougher than the Thinkpads which are pretty much the toughest non-rugged laptops out there.

7. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    I use a CF52 everyday..It is considered semi rugged.
    15.4 inch screen...
    When I got it, it had less than 50 hours..Now it has 7,700 hours and it still works great.
    I think a CF52 would fit your needs perfectly......

Shawn

8. Springfield

Springfield Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For general use I would recommend #13 - CF-52. It has full size keyboard and battery, larger display than most, and SATA hard drive so easy to upgrade. CF-29 is more rugged but older so performance is less with Centrino cpu and 1.5 GB maximum memory.

9. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    I would pay the extra money for the CF-30. You will use it more than you think and you will enjoy the fact you can't break it in daily use. PLUS... If you do need to take it outside... You can actually read the screen!

I think that CF-52 is too old at 1.8GHz... The CF-30 has 4GB RAM and you can swap in a better hard drive later and still use it for years to come!

10. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    They are both listed as Core2 Duo's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.