Robs rant and rave thread against anything that isn't a Toughbook!

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Rob, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob

Rob Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    So I am starting this thread because I am thoroughly annoyed at EVERY laptop on the face of the planet after work today… I’ll start off with a few reasons why if your laptop ISN’T a Toughbook it is a PILE OF CRAP

Apple: Anyone that has taken an Apple G4 or G3 iBook apart or even a Macbook or Macbook Pro will agree with me on this one. These laptops are held together with TIN FOIL AND YELLOW TAPE! Good lord, if you ever have to change a hard drive or a screen on an older iBook G4, RUN LIKE HELL UNTIL YOU CAN’T RUN ANY FURTHER! I can’t believe that these laptops are built like this! NOT user friendly at ALL. On top of the fact that they use stupid torx bit screws and are to damn fragile! GAH!

Acer: Acer, Acer, Acer, oh where do I start with you???? To this day I have YET to see an Acer come to the shop with a completely in tact keyboard. The keyboards on these laptops are so damn awful that I have replaced at least 100 of them in the last 3 years… Acers also have TERRIBLE TERRIBLE power socket problems just like Toshibas do (I’ll go there in a minute). 95% of the motherboard problems with Acers are bad power sockets!

Toshiba: I don’t have as many gripes about Toshiba other than they don’t last more than a mere 4 years. They have LOTS of power socket problems as well on particular models (A75-XXXX). All in all the battery life on NEW Toshibas are NEVER good, just about an hour and a half.

Gateway/eMachines: in regards to their desktops, I KNOW KNOW KNOW that if a machine comes into my shop and it’s NOT turning on then for SURE SURE SURE it will be a bad motherboard and bad power supply!! NO QUESTIONS ASKED. To this date I have lost count on how many mobo/psu changes I have done over the last 6 years but I would say that it is realistically about 150+ machine!

Dell: Dell has it’s ups and downs. The Dell Inspiron 1000/1100/2200/6000/6400 laptops are PILES OF CRAP. I find that if you spend $1000+ on a nicer LATITUDE or VOSTRO laptop they are MUCH MUCH better! None-the-less I’ve seen a LOT of bad motherboards and broken power sockets on Dells too.

Sony: Sony, ahhh, Sony….. Sonys are good machines for the most part but are a PAIN IN THE BUTT to fix (almost as bad as Apple). They seem to be made to last longer than most other laptops, which might be why they cost so much more?!?!?!?

IBM: IBM T40/41/42//42p/43/43p/T60’s – VERY WELL MADE LAPTOPS! I would probably be using one of these if I didn’t have a Toughbook. The R Series and the A series – Piles of CRAP, Very poorly made and they seem to fall apart after about 3 years. As far as the new Lenovo 3000’s are concerned, I’ve only seen and used about 10 of them and they seem to be VERY poorly made as well

HP: I save the best for last: DV2000, DV6000, DV9000… In particular the DV6000 series. I don’t care what you have in your DV6000, if you have one it is a pile of CRAP. To this date in the last 4 years I have replaced 312 BAD motherboards on this particular model! I can’t believe that a class action lawsuit hasn’t been started on this!!! I GENUINLY FEEL TERRIBLE for any poor fool that has purchased any of these HP laptops. Not only are they prone to having bad motherboards, but IF, AND THAT IS A BIG IF you manage to not have the motherboard go out on one of these machines, then count on the wireless slot going bad at the minimum! Also, don’t get me going on the crappy batteries on these guys.

Some of you may be asking yourselves, Rob, why are you ranting and raving about all these laptops on the Toughbook forums??!?!? And I will answer with this: I have NEVER EVER seen any issues like ANY of the aforementioned machines with a Toughbook! Thank you Panasonic for making such a RELIABLE laptop! I would also like to state that I have been working at the same computer company (Proton Computers Inc) for the last 6 years and I have fixed 10’s OF THOUSANDS of computers in the last 6 years. NO I AM NOT EXATURATING! THIS IS WHAT I DO FOR A LIVING. All of what I just posted about is 100% truth and NONE of it is made up or exaggerated IN THE LEAST BIT!

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

~Rob~

I think that the only "NEED" for power comes from gamers... Seriously if I wanted a "Gaming laptop" I wouldn't bat an eye at buying a top of the line DELL with a video card.

The needs that I express here in this thread are for the HARD WORKING class of people that just need a laptop to WORK WORK WORK WORK WORK and maybe WORK some more...

People that don't want to deal with a cracked screen
    Deal with a ripped out power socket
    Deal with fried CPU's and overheating
    Deal with being scared to touch the damn thing without breaking it
    Deal with throwing on the conveyor belt at the airport for them to scan it
    Deal with stuffing your laptop into a bag every time you need to get in and out of a taxi cab
    Deal with having to plug in a USB light to see the keyboard at night
    Deal with having to plug the laptop in after a measly 8 hours
    Deal with messing around with a Sprint/Verizon/ATT card sticking out of the side
    Deal with a glare from the sunlight shining through the window on the screen
    Deal with protecting it with your life if it rains a little bit
    Deal with kids banging on it
    Deal with having to carry around a huge cumbersome bag EVERYWHERE YOU GO

Do I make myself clear why I started this thread?!?!?!?!?

Kent T likes this.
  2. blargh.blargh.blargh

blargh.blargh.blargh Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've been using Apple systems for a long time. I don't have a high regard for their hardware, but OS X is very slick.

Recently I learned that with a little bit of tinkering you can run OS X quite comfortably in a VM. So now I have the best of both worlds - a Toughbook that can run OS X through VMWare.

However I think you're being a bit unfair. If the vendors you mentioned produced $4,500+ laptops then they would probably be able to engineer something along similar lines to the Toughbook.

3. Rob

Rob Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:

I agree with you on this one!

4. Rob

Rob Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    BBB, for me, I just can't understand how ANYONE would wanna deal with all the problems of having a normal cookie-cutter laptop like that...

I understand that money is tight for a lot of people, however, in my opinion you can't put a price tag on SANITY!!

5. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Thanks for the post/rant. I buy, repair, sell laptops every so often. I don't do that many, but one toad kills any meager profit. If I figured my hours, I always lose money, but I do it for the fun. I think I will stick to turning Toughbooks. Now that I own the best, why mess with the rest?

Once an addict, always an addict.

Thanks
    Shawn

6. Dr Blood

Dr Blood Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'll just add my two cents.

Apple - They are only for people who don't know how to use a real computer anyway so I don't even include them in any thoughts I have about laptops. Ibooks, Powerbooks, or whatever else they make that either looks like a toilet seat or a crippled white Sony Vaio are all utter crap and I'd never buy one. I was once told by some pretentious fool after a job interview that if I really wanted to get a job in desktop publishing then I should mention Macs a lot. I didn't get the job and continue to use just about anything but overpriced Applephantic Adobe or Macromedia software unless it comes as a free download.

Acer- Hahaha. I just bought one from ebay for $40 with a missing key on the keyboard and ordered a replacement. Yeah, they are crap but cheap and nobody expects them to last. My Acer desktop however is fantastic.

Toshiba - I haven't used one of their laptops since the 486 ones with the memory on a PCMCIA card and a clip on trackball mouse. I liked them back then though. I'd never buy one now after handling the weak and bendy feeling ones at Best Buy and Wal-Mart.

Gateway/Emachines - You get what you pay for there too. I have a Gateway Turion laptop which is great and according to ebay is still holding its value. No problems with it whatsoever except that I replaced XP on it with Ubuntu because I got fed up with all the Windows Updates.

Dell - All the old Latitudes (CPi and CPiA) seem to be going strong ten years on in spite of the hinges cracking the lid in 99.9% of cases. My most recent experience was with an Inspiron 1521 which looked pretty, had an awful keyboard and Vista killed its wireless card. I wanted to buy one for myself at the time but damn they are heavy!

Sony - Vaios have provided my worst computer experiences (other than trying to upgrade an Emachines Etower 366 - voted worst desktop PC in the world!). My Vaio laptop was typical in that one memory slot burned out, then the CD drive, and then the hard drive. Repairing it was pretty easy with a DVD drive (from an older model which shouldn't have worked!) and a new hard drive but trying to find drivers that work for any OS other than what it came with was a bit of a nightmare and I never got the hotkeys working again with Windows 2000.

HP/Compaq - I've always hated Compaq computers since the luggable 286 that tried its hardest to slice my fingers off when I tried to upgrade its disk drives. As HP, I just won't buy their products after an incident I had with one of their mouthier employees. It's nice to know that their products are as bad as the people who work for them. :)

As for Toughbooks, I've only got CF-27s. I like them a lot and wish I had the kind of income that would allow me to buy the current top of the range models. Having said that, they are HUGELY overpriced to cash in on all the corporate/military/service industry contracts they have. That's the only bad thing I have to say about them though. I have no idea how old a CF-27 actually is but I can see mine lasting another 10 years easily (give or take a new hard drive or two). You can't expect that from any computer you buy new now.

Kent T likes this.
  7. Rob

Rob Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    VERY WELL! I totally forgot about those GOOD machines... Yeah, EVERY CPi/CPa I've seen has had a cracked plastic in the LCD lid... VERY WELL PUT! I stopped selling those about 5 years ago lol

Also, in thinking back to OLD machines... The old IBM 600's and 600E's were good machines too... As were the T20's/21's/22's/23's... We used to sell THOUSANDS of T22's!!

8. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Rob,

I am fairly disappointed with this thread.... There is no need to sugar coat your feelings.... Please tell us how you REALLY feel!

:smile:
    <snorts another shot of Jack while laughing>​
    :eek2:

I can agree with you on so many levels! While not repairing the vast numbers that you have... I have had my share with friends, family, neighbors and customers who have bought Toughbooks to replace their broken latops... Then they turn around and want to know about fixing their old laptops to give to kids, sell, etc.

One of the biggest problems that I have seen is the broken DC ports. Sometimes they are shattered and torn away from the mobo... But about half just need to have the solder reflowed and then tell the owner not to get up and run to the bathroom while the AC adapter is wrapped around his/her ankle!

The other I see is the spindly interior construction that breaks as a lot of customers either pick up their laptop by the corner of the laptop (bad but not REAL bad) or by the corner of the LCD... (REAL BAD!) I replaced my wifes Sony Vaio with a CF-18 as her GF came over and picked up the Sony by the corner of the screen and broke the LCD.... The 10.4" Sony LCDs are $450 and rare as hens teeth.... So now her GF can do whatever she wants to the CF-18.

My wife had been having issues with her CF-18 and it turned out to be a bad hard drive... After my 3rd reimaging..... I finally tested the drive and it failed..... So my bad.

9. sgttoughbook

sgttoughbook Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What about alienware rob my wfe just got one and so far theve had to change the nvida card out and that still solve the issue of the screen going black randomly this is my first experience with them and i am impressed bye the machine but not the company or there customer service.

-john-

10. gn7p71

gn7p71 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.