RLECViewer: Custom Clevo Fan Control

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Zuyang, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Cheddar

Cheddar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Other than a user setting the fan's values too low, are there any other dangers or known issues with running RLEC Viewer long term?

These are my settings under RLEC viewer:

[​IMG]

As long as the top values (>85° C) are set to 100% would this be safe for long term usage? Or should I wait for the obsidian tool?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    If i get this correclt from Prema, the tool tends to lose control, so basicially it will suddenly not power fans when it should, causing hardware to kill itself.

Thanks to @John@OBSIDIAN-PC I'm already working on my own Fan control software since I do not plan on using something that can lose control.

bennyg likes this.
  3. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That 80-85C 100-60 could set up a very annoying yoyo effect

I would wait for obsidian's tool, I'm sure that would have a supervisor process to ensure safety.

4. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    John, I'd just like to draw your attention to the fact that the models with the Max-Q GPU versions have an additional Max-Q profile in the CCC.

CCC MaxQ.png

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  5. Cheddar

Cheddar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    lol yeah, you'd think. Except my temps never get up that high. Delid + Undervolt + Noctua NT-H1 + Underclock. Also only a single 1070.

Thanks Danishblunt, I gathered as much from Prema's post as well, I thought I might as well ask. I don't quite understand how they would "lose control" but I'll defer to Prema's wisdom and stay clear.

It's a real shame, this fan profile made my system a great deal quieter. @Danishblunt Any plans to release your fan control software publicly once complete?... These fans are killing me.:mad::(

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  6. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Sadly it will be very specific to my system, which will make it pretty much incompatible with everyone elses system, since I have a very special fan setup. Just wait until john finishes his fan software instead.

7. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Buying a Clevo system at launch is usually a bad idea because the first EC version tends to have a horrible fan curve out of the box. The P950HP6 had a terrible fan curve at launch (see htwingnut's review) but when I bought it 5 months later, the laptop was pretty much silent at idle or when web browsing (BIOS 1.05.08, EC 1.05.08). Most major OEMs seem to be able to release laptops with decent fan curves at launch, so why can't Clevo do the same?

8. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

John@OBSIDIAN-PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Should have an alpha until the weekend ;)

Sent from my MI Note 2 using Tapatalk

Cheddar likes this.
  9. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Will the alpha be public? I'd like to try it myself to see if its any good or not. I do have a 3fan system (3 seperate fan drivers).

10. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

John@OBSIDIAN-PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    The current version is not intended to be "good" it's just a playground to test code.
    The final version will have to be good, otherwise we won't sell it
    I will make a public alpha (test at your own risk).

Sent from my MI Note 2 using Tapatalk

josephk95 and Cheddar like this.