Rise your 2080 mobile with 200W from vbios of 51M

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by HoangThi, Nov 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. HoangThi

HoangThi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi pro.
    I would like to delid 9900k and remove ihs to contact directly heatsink to CPU die. So I want to use copper shim and solder it to the heatsink by Sn42/Bi58 with low melt temp (138C). Do you konow thickness of this copper shim. I am thinking 2.0/2.5/3.0mm but do not know how much thickness is reasonable? Hope you can give some advice ;).
    About copper shim for gpu die. I am thinking between 0.1, 0.3 and 0.5mm. But I also don't know how much thickness is suitable :confused:

2. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    Direct die would be tricky. As a part of the heatsink has a protrusion for VRM cooling, you would need to take that into consideration for the shim thickness. I see a few issues could end up happening, you either get too much pressure on the die or not enough. Both bad if you don't get the proper thickness. Soldering a shim would also affect mounting for everything else as its a unified heatsink.

I tried something similar, this was without soldering but to test a more "direct die" type of cooling with a couple copper shims and no ihs. Temperatures ended up worse, as the 8-core die is very dense and resulted in a hotspot. Where the heat was mostly carried by a single or two heatpipes, instead of all 4. This is why you want an IHS, as it helps to spread the heat over a larger area.

But theoretically, if you have a shim that has a large enough surface area similar to the stock ihs, 29x29mm at about 4mm, you might get decent results.

From my own testing, I found that a taller IHS was the better solution, as it increased the contact pressure improving temperatures significantly over stock and othe copper ihs.

Papusan, Falkentyne and HoangThi like this.
  3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    You would need to remanufacture the heatsink and shim the package of the CPU to ensure good contact with the pads and pins in the socket.

4. Prmt

Prmt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    sounds like more effort that its worth haha. Especially since its already operating at a decent temp fully loaded/overclocked.

5. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Even in the desktop arena it's very uncommon.

6. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is awesome! So the Clevo RTX2080 runs ok with a Dell 200TDP 2080 bios?

7. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    hey what kind of performance can a power modded Clevo GTX1080 get running LM and a lapped heatsink? Can it get close to this? I’m weighting my options. Tempted to get a RTX2080 lol.

My LM and Kapton tape and shims will be here today. But I’ll still need a programmer and 1.8v adapter etc. etc.

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    You will be looking at linear scaling to between 50-80% scaling. So 10% extra power for 5-8% scaling normally.

jaybee83 likes this.
  9. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    I'd hold out until q2 when 3xxx series mxm cards drop, to see performance increase..

Papusan and HoangThi like this.
  10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    2nd hand might become more of an option too.