Ripped off? Yup...

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by CanadianDude, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MAA83

MAA83 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    1000 bucks for tire insurance?! Dude you can get 3 sets of tires for a civic with 1000. He won't make the same mistake twice, that's for sure.

2. masterchef341

masterchef341 The guy from The Notebook

Reputations:
    i would be willing to go back and complain. $1000 for tire insurance might be lawsuit-threat territory, seeing as the value of the tires is less than $1000.

the rust proofing situation is unfortunate, but I don't see you getting that money back.

I bought a nice volvo sedan, with leather interior for $12.000 with the same mileage as this honda. That was cash, though, and didn't include rust proofing or $1000 tire insurance, and it was a private party purchase...

Your brother kind of got screwed. He signed for 27 grand for a used honda? That's pretty sick. Depending on the vehicle, I'd say he was taken for anywhere from 7-14 grand. That's pretty serious.

3. ramgen

ramgen -- Morgan Stanley --

Reputations:
    Can you please give me your brother's address and phone number? I need to sell him something. :D

Seriously?

--

4. niffcreature

niffcreature ex computer dyke

Reputations:
    I'm not buying a car period. My moms boyfriend is a professional car mechanic and my dads car is pretty old, somethings bound to fail on it soon. :p

Even at a young age I knew that cars' value was somewhat "intangible" like laptops... when all you need is functionality there is no way I'm paying as much as the average guy.

5. CanadianDude

CanadianDude Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I know I know...but no matter how dumb they are you always want to have hope for family members. I guess I was wrong

6. ramgen

Reputations:
    Unfortunately I have similar people among my relatives (thank God, not in the family!). Let me tell you his story so that you can see that there is no limit for the stupidity:

This guy (X, my relative) wants to buy a used car. One of his friends offers X his car claiming that it is one of the best in the world etc. etc. X asks for the price and his friend replies: "15,000 Euros".

Then X wants a deferral for the payment claiming that he doesn't have enough ready and he will sell one of his houses soon. They agree on deferring the payment for 6 months in exchange for signing a payment agreement for "25,000 Euros".

Yes, I swear this really happened! And this guy is a college drop-out working on minimum wage jobs too!

--

7. Megacharge

Megacharge Custom User Title

Reputations:
    Seriously, you as a family should go and complain, tell them your brother isn't very bright and you guys don't like how he was taken advantage of, also mention going to the media (Marketplace) to tell them about how they take advantage of vulnerable people.

I wouldn't let this go at all...

8. ramgen

Reputations:
    I don't think it could be reverted unless they get some medical report claiming that his brother has mental retardation and he doesn't know what he is doing etc. etc.

Otherwise every ripped-off person would blame the other side for being taken advantage of and revert the process. You have the control until you sign. Once your signature is there it is a done deal.

--

9. masterchef341

masterchef341 The guy from The Notebook

Reputations:
    i think this is mostly true, although there are limits of egregiousness... for example, selling someone insurance which costs more than the replacement for the item. Not only more, but significantly more. That most likely breaks some sort of rules, it's worth investigating.

10. Voodooi

Voodooi AFK for a while...

Reputations:
    I totally agree with this post.

Marketplace/W-Five type shows would expose this attrocious dealership and give it bad publicity. Honda would definitely step in and undo the damage.

I would not let this go unpunished.

And here I thought Staples was bad. I went to buy a K53TA, they offered me the Norton setup for around 149$, I declined so they tell me they only have 2 K53TA's but they're already "optimized", so if I don't pay the 149$, I can't have the laptop. As I walk out, he tells me "oh, I think there's one in the back that's not optimized".

Staples, Best Buy and these dealerships should be severely penalized for pulling this crap.