Revolutionary Idea for a New Kind of Notebook

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jorban, Jan 31, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jorban

Jorban Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't know if the technology exists (well, part of it kinda does with remote log ins). The idea is that the notebook itself is nothing more than an input and output device. The actual brains of the computer is at home. The notebook just sends input and receives output from the actual computer at home via a wireless communication method. Therefore the notebook's only responsibilities are to get input from the user (keyboard, trackpad, etc.), send it to the computer, and then to display output (sound, screen, etc.). The computer at home does all the heavy lifting of processing stuff.

Why is this so great? Because it allows for the most powerful, portable, long-lasting (battery only worries about display not processing) notebook possible. Your notebook now has the power of whatever its desktop counterpart at home has. Want to game 4k on your sub 2lb 13" notebook for hours? Go right ahead.

The technological limitation: So the elephant in the room is that the notebook has to communicate with the home laptop back and forth within whatever the refresh rate is for output (60 times per second is kinda the standard for screens, not sure how sound works though). So there needs to be a wireless connection capable of communicating the input and output info at that speed. Honestly, this is not a hard technological limitation at all. So why doesn't this exist???

2. ALLurGroceries

ALLurGroceries   Super Moderator

Reputations:
    What you're describing is called a terminal, and it's been around since the era of mainframes.

[​IMG]

One of the newest takes on this concept is a project called xCloud which would be a video gaming streaming service:
    https://www.windowscentral.com/project-xcloud

The problem mostly boils down to bandwidth and latency.

3. Jorban

Jorban Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Cool, I'm from Mainframe. So then the issue really is just maintaining a steady and fast communication. And yes, that is exactly what I'd like to see. A wireless long distance terminal in laptop form.

4. ALLurGroceries

ALLurGroceries   Super Moderator

Reputations:
  5. Convel

Convel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Google's got Project Stream, Microsoft's got xCloud, Nvidia's got GeForce NOW and GRID vGPU.

Streaming from a desktop at home can be done through Steam Link or Nvidia's GameStream.

Those are just some of the big ones. There are plenty of virtual desktop and game streaming solutions. Reason why they haven't been more prominent is lacking infrastructure in many countries along with needed backing by companies with deep pockets for data centres, which we are now seeing. Rumours have it Microsoft will release a streaming-only version of their next-gen console. No current solution comes close to a powerful desktop with a 120+ Hz display for competitive play because of latencies associated with streaming.

6. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    There's also Shadow as a cloud gaming service.

JRE84 and Convel like this.
  7. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    im currently using geforce now but i heard shadow is the best....pretty cool gaming on battery ultra settings for 10 hours on my ux330ua

8. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'd think latency would be a huge issue for anything multiplayer.

9. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    latency is pretty good.....it doesn't affect my elite skills lol

10. Nick

Nick Mr.Mischief

Reputations:
    I've heard of people using Chromebooks and remoting into a virtual machine at home.