[Review] Sager NP8652 / Clevo P650SG with 980m Initial Impressions and Review by HTWingNut

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by HTWingNut, Dec 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    OK after doing a lot of thought the Samsung 4K screen has really got me thinking that this might be a good choice, has good response time, good color reproduction and is good value for the money .I think Pentile screens get a bad rap and really all the complaints are blown out proportion.
    One thing I'm not sure of is how bright the screen is , HT if you can comment or post a pic of the screen at 100% and 75/80% brightness it would be great and you would have my eternal gratitude .

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  2. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    tfast500, IKAS V, jaybee83 and 3 others like this.
  3. tfast500

tfast500 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks HT great review I love all the extensive tests... Looks like its worth going ahead and oc with barely any heat differential. Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

4. Retron

Retron Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    All I can say is I'm not sorry I went with the 3K option.

The 48Hz thing has been fixed, which is good, but it's still a pentile display. We don't have any proof yet that the mustardy yellow issue has been fixed either - a photo of a white screen just shows how good the backlight is on a pentile display, as you're seeing the gaps between the subpixels!

FWIW, the Panasonic 3K screen reports as having "8 Bits per Primary Color" in HWInfo - which suggests it has better colour support than the Samsung's 6-bit colour.

arash_illusive likes this.
  5. thegreatsquare

thegreatsquare Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Great review! I look forward to ordering the 8652 next week. Just the basic model [CPU/GPU, 1TB HDD, 8GB, 1080p, Dual-Band wireless] plus 3yr part warranty because it's all soldered and too expensive to fix ...it has to last me 3 years minimum. 4-5 years like my G73 would be nice, but at least 3 so I can replenish the budget for the laptop after this.

CPU temps look good except for the synthetics. I noticed the TIM in the review is stock. Planning to add the IC Diamond TP option, hoping it aids in keeping CPU temps down.

6. Richteralan

Richteralan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well you can't really come to that conclusion without trying both screens, yes?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

7. superguy25

superguy25 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I know with the 970m, the 6 GB version is the one to get. How does this go with the 980m? Is 4GB sufficient for good gaming, especially at higher quality and resolutions, or do we need to go to the 8 GB version here too?

It's definitely an interesting contender. I was pretty much sold on the GS60, but this looks interesting, especially with the upgrades XoticPC offers.

8. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    difficult to say, at this point its all still theoretical speculation. at least i havent seen any hard facts / data to support the notion that 8gb vram offers more performance in any single game vs. 4 gb vram...

9. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Sure I can ;)
    The Samsung 4K screen is very good according to HT's review and personally I'm sure the Sharp 4k screen is better in many ways, $275 is a lot of money just for a screen upgrade.
    And yes I have a Sharp Igzo display on my RB14-R2 and it is beautiful.

Richteralan likes this.
  10. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Sharp is like cream of the crop, really, but it also has the premium price. The Samsung is very nice. As nice as the other IPS displays I've used. Just be happy that Sager offers alternate LCD's. Any other OEM like HP or Dell would just throw in whatever they wanted and you'd just have to live with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.