[Review] Clevo/EVOC PA71ES-G

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by LeiEn, Jun 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vIkInG_w0w

vIkInG_w0w Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'd highly recommend against buying an i9 in such a thin chassis. More so when it is struggling to even cool the the 8750H. No use buying an i9 unless you can use it to its full potential or atleast 80% of it :p

On that note check out the Acer Predator Helios 500. Dave2D remarked that currently it was one of the only laptops that sufficiently cooled the i9 while running at a nice 4+GHz

2. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    This is what I'm trying to find out, but I'll pre-emptively say, no. I don't think this unit will handle 4.3GHz 6 core 12 thread with unupgraded cooling from a 4c/8t chip at 3.6GHz, at all.

raz8020 likes this.
  3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Personally I would tweak it to get the most out of it but not everyone has the time or inclination to do that.

4. D2 Ultima

Reputations:
    If you have some way to tweak it to get an 8950HK to cool in that unit, by all means. If you need to drop speed, there's no difference between it and an 8750H, which does 3.9GHz already.

raz8020 likes this.
  5. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    True the 8750h is not like the older chips like the 4700hq which has a big clock deficit.

6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Not many i7-8750H manage run 3.9GHz all cores throughout the benchmarks. PL2 limits will kick in after 28 seconds if not the temp limits already are reached and the clocks start drop (A few manage 56w sustained load limits for 2.5 min then down to 45w). Most have problem passing 1190cb in Cinebench R15. A very few is lucky in the silicon lottery and will reach +-1250cb

i7-8750H@3.9GHz BGA clocks all 6 cores.[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    LeiEn and raz8020 like this.
  7. LeiEn

LeiEn Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Will get around to it eventually, but I'd like to do a fresh install of Win10 before I rerun to try and fix the CPU values detection issue, and that may be awhile due to not having any gaps in work at the moment.

8. D2 Ultima

Reputations:
    Oh I know... but the PL1 should be adjustable on a competent unit. I've seen a lot of notebooks come with 60W PL1 lately, just that they all suck in some other way, like the RB15 2018 unit which has designed VRM throttle after a short time of the VRMs heating up where you get 45W PL1 lock (and people on youtube comments telling me it doesn't throttle... LUL)

I simply meant that the only tested unit I've seen was a HID model with LM and fujipoly pads, and it hit 96c in PUBG after... idk, 2 minutes? I couldn't stop it with undervolting or anything. It had a long lag time to cool down after stress was removed which usually is because of poor contact, but I hear other users have no issues. So I asked here since this user said his unit was fine.

I don't know what CPU detection issue you have, but all I need you to do is kill the control center service in windows, run PLEBG with system metrics on for like 10 minutes, then show me pictures and/or a HWiNFO shot.

9. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Clamping to the rated TDP on the i7 is not technically throttling, it's running to spec.

raz8020 and Boseph McGee like this.
  10. Boseph McGee

Boseph McGee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can't get the back panel off. Is there a screw underneath the rubber foot by the subwoofer? I've removed 13 screws and it won't separate completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.