Return of OLED on Alienware?

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Game7a1, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    Vasudev and c69k like this.
  2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The temps on the M15 would be enough to not buy it. Other than that, I would really enjoy seing OLED screens on good multimedia notebooks. On gaming notebooks it's 2 slow, nopbody who has experiences 120hz+ screens would go to something like 60hz again.

Vasudev and B0B like this.
  3. billycuth

billycuth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's actually not as bad as I initially thought. It does require tweaking through Throttle Stop, but the temps are easily kept in check.

4. Danishblunt

Reputations:

If you have an M15,I'd like to see your result on aida64.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. billycuth

Reputations:
    Again, if you read my comment you'd understand that I didn't say out of the box all is good. All is not good. And I saw the video you've posted.

Yes, I have an M15 and yes, my core temps hit 100 degrees. I posted a video on it briefly here:

BUT - with some simple tweaking in ThrottleStop (undervolting, etc) with stock paste the temps are MUCH better.

Civ 6 is extremely CPU intense in late game turns which is my mine was blowing up. The 8750H is a hot processor and requires you to protect it a little more than others when used in a laptop - especially a thin and light.

Anyway all I am saying is you do not simply need to dismiss the M15 due to thermals. And the build is fantastic.

6. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    You should listen to the youtube video, it's liquid metalled running at 3.3ghz and still 90+c. It's not stock either.

Also...

Our definition of "easily kept in check" are so extremely different. I would consider 100C pretty far from in check.

I am really happy for you that you enjoy the notebook, but please don't say things like that. Your video literally shows a massive thermal problem. You're not aware of this, but if you keep running that notebook on those temps, it won't last long.

7. billycuth

Reputations:
    It hit 100C out of the box. After adjustments it's in the low 80s. Mine is not LM'd yet, but I will be doing it soon.

The video I posted was post undervolt but prior to setting the clocks. I am fully aware of the damage high temps can do. I was very close to returning this thing.

8. TriBeard

TriBeard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've posted in the main thread, but I've gotten mine down to around 80c (+ or - 5ish degrees) when running XTU and turboing to 3.88Ghz all core. I'm pretty happy with that.

9. RS4

RS4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nice to see even bigger sizes like 14 inch and 15.6 inch going into production. Would love to get a multimedia OLED laptop with 15.6 inch screen and thin bezels like XPS 15.

B0B likes this.
  10. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I will crap purple twinkies if OLED 15.6” gaming laptops arrive. I’ll do it live if they’re priced right :)