Retro (IBM style) Lenovo Thinkpad confirmed for October 2017

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 21, 2017.

1. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If I had that certain IBM engineer whose idea it was in front of me, I would have asked...

"If user could press power button in total darkness, wouldn't display then produce enough light to find and hit the Fn button even if it wasn't the left most on the keyboard?"

I guess they invented a "feature" but they never bothered to test how useful it actually was, vs. the troubles it brings when using literally everything else in the world with a keyboard :p

2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:
    Good point.

3. xitongzou

xitongzou Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm so on the fence about this laptop. I like the limited edition, retro keyboard and dedicated graphics (Yeah I know MX150 is better but 940MX is still better than the regular integrated that you get on T470), but the fact that Lenovo doesn't let you use any of the regular discount codes with it is annoying.. they force you to buy it at full price and I've never bought a ThinkPad at full retail price before. Blah. Yeah and corporate perks don't offer this ThinkPad either.

Starlight5 and hmscott like this.
  4. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    It's on the EPP perks website a week ago iirc. Not it's still listed there but not available to buy.

There's no guarantee on the availability due to being a "limited edition." There's only 5k units worldwide and with all the BS about order cancellation on the TP25 I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    hmscott likes this.
  5. chx1975

chx1975 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  6. Mobius 1

Reputations:
  7. xitongzou

Reputations:
    Don't think this is true. its already sold out on lenovo site. The reason its so 'hated' is because retro thinkpad owners think its not retro enough and it comes late in the refresh cycle for new thinkpad buyers. People were looking for a laptop with 8th gen quad cpus and mx150 but Lenovo has not refreshed their lineup yet and is not due to until next year. That makes this laptop a little disappointing to everyone sure, but it has its merits. If you configure a current T470 to the same specs (including mobile broadband) then the TP25 is just $300 more - which you are paying for a 940MX and a keyboard upgrade. That could be worth it. After all, Apple upcharges $300 for a touchbar and 2 more T3 ports and MS upcharges about the same for the dGPU on the SurfaceBook.

8. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    I know, was just a joke

9. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It might have been cheaper for Lenovo (and better for us) if the design team had instead just plonked the old Thinkpad keyboard into a P51 chassis with its plethora of options available. Charging $1800 for the base model quad core version would have chafed less in my humble opinion.

Starlight5 and huntnyc like this.
  10. xitongzou

Reputations:
    The Thinkpad P51 is a great laptop and probably the most well featured, but overall I think the T series still sells quite a bit more and I believe the P51 is both a little more expensive and quite a bit heavier (by 2lbs I think) compared to the T470. I know, I wish there was multiple versions of the TP25, like an X series version and P series version as well.

Fluffyfurball likes this.