Retina MBP BootCamp Overclocking Results and Gaming Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by asdad123, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MicheleRUSS0

MicheleRUSS0 Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok i have followed this thread and tried a few options. Now i have a retina macbook pro 2.3ghz 16gb ram with the 650m graphic card.. I have succesfully overclocked it with nvidia inspector using the command promp followin the OP advice of using force state 02 instead of 01. The maximum stable OC i can get without the computer shutting down or getting artifacts is 1100/2500 as someone else mentioned... Any higher than this and the computer shuts down to a black screen after about 5 seconds. Wether this is driver related or not i dont know. Nvidia inspector is also very tricks. It seems for all the people that cant seem to OC even using the command promp... Myself also having the issue. I set it manuall through the drop down box to P5 or P2 first. Done the command promp code and then hit unlock max on the Inspector at the top. I was then able to slide the toggles to 1100 and 2500 and clicking apply without it droping the toggles back down to the default. My first original 3Dmark11 score was around 2300 i think roughly. With the OC running monitoring with core temp and lubbos running at the full 6000rpm on both fans to be safe im hitting 3006 on 3d mark 11 Also a note to anyone that cant get Lubbos running showing the correct cpu temp. On your Lubbos download files open up the fan controll text file and change CPUkey=TC0D to CPUkey=TC0F make sure its a capital F save and restart the Lubbos program... Note: you need to change that everytime you reset defaults and restart the program. My cpu temp has hit 95 degrees when playing CPU intensive games such as ARMA 2 and hits around 30FPS at 1920 1080 on full highest settings . Im not here to post up frame rates. Just hoping i could put my input in that. It is possible but it is tricky.

screenshot.jpg

2. MaKin211

MaKin211 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

I was trying to OC my MBPr 2.3GHz with Afterburner and what I don't understand is:

Clock Rate +135MHz (result 1035MHz)
    Mem Speed +900 (shows me a result of 3300 in After Burner, which sounds too crazy high?! Why is this? Shouldn't it be default clock + 900? When setting higher than ~920 I get artefacts in FarCry3...)

In Nvidia Inspector I am also limited by +135Mhz.

Actually I would be ok with a extra clock rate of 135 MHz and there comes my next question:

Do I have to worry when running this slightly overclocked system? I use Lubbos Fan Control in order to have the fans turn at proper speed.

Your answer is much appreciated!

Regards, MaKin211

3. groundhogger

groundhogger Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, I'm really concerned.. I haven't overclocked my GPU at all and it's reading 900/2508 on NVidia Inspector. I actually came to this thread to figure out how to do it! Is this really wrong or does anyone have an explanation for this? Untitled.jpg

4. MicheleRUSS0

MicheleRUSS0 Newbie

Reputations:
  5. StealthReventon

StealthReventon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm getting a 21" iMac with 650m and plan to use the posted methods to OC it. Should it be similar to your guys instructions? Maybe the cooling system will allow higher OC's.

I'm just hoping to hit 60 FPS in CoD Black Ops 2 with 1080p med-high settings.

6. BharathkkB

BharathkkB Newbie

Reputations:
    even thought i tried the command line it doesnt work? can you please help me out here sir? :)

7. Hellbutcher

Hellbutcher Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

I've read all posts (Notebook review & Macrumor) for the MBPr O.C.
    I tried some .bat files to OC up to 1035 Mhz, but there's alaws something wrong.
    I can't OC more of 1035.

Someone can make a guide with all batch files & co ?

Actually, I'm under 314.xx nvidia driver and 1.9.7 nvidiaInspector

Sorry for my bad english, I'm a french ;-)

8. ltorrelles

ltorrelles Newbie

Reputations:
    As far as I know NVidia Inspector isn't compatible with NVidia drivers over 310.X. You should consider either downgrading the drivers or sticking to MSI Afterburner to OC.

I might be wrong, though. Correct me if that's the case. On another note, OC the processor is quite an absurd idea, precisely the heat produced by the processor has a great impact on the heat of the GPU (remember components are really close together there). I disabled TurboBoost (CPU usage while in-game on games like Far Cry 3 never went over 40%) and that reduced the temperatures on both CPU and GPU a lot.

9. darkloki

darkloki Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Gaming or doing anything graphical intensive on my macbook retina scares the Bejesus out of me. Granted all of my other computers are Alienware's but this computer gets so hot when playing games I really stray away from doing it.

10. ltorrelles

ltorrelles Newbie

Reputations:
    I've been doing that for quite a long time now and I just make sure the fans are maxed while I know i'll be "über loading" the CPU-GPU. Despite the computer gets really hot it doesn't even get near the "risk temperatures".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.