Retina MBP BootCamp Overclocking Results and Gaming Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by asdad123, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crimsoned

Crimsoned Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    #1 Apple does no evil. :rolleyes: Sorry man but Apple sacrifice so much in the construction and thermal department for the sake of aesthetics.

#2 I know at least half a dozen professional scenarios that would stress the CPU and GPU far more than 3dmark 11, nor would they be as forgiving as 3dmark11 since 3dmark11 only last minutes these programs can take hours to perform tasks.
    Some modern games will also tax a system far more than 3dmark11, hence why to real reviewers the real test are games or real world applications. Not synthetic benchmark tests.

#3 Correct they have a reputation for getting hot. I've yet to see someone test the system to the max.
    I did at the Apple store after buying the MBP+R, and hit 100c on the CPU and 96c on the GPU before the Fan kicked in and the system throttled down. I returned the notebook and kept my Precision m4600.
    Anyways I will stick with using a system that isn't going to have a higher risk of failure due to thermals.

2. daaudio

daaudio Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi asdad I think I found you on mac forum as well.. Is there a chance you can make a video for me of the desktop with the following scenario

1-) running ORTHOS (cpu stress app stressing both cpu cores)
    2-) running AIDA or HWinfo monitor showing temps on all cores
    3-) running furmark which is a GPU stress app

and then running Lubbos Fan Control at MAX on all fans

I need to check how temps starts oscillating is that possible you can do for me ? cause this will define if I buy my MD104 thanks so much

If the system get's under stress with CPU LOAD and GPU LOAD cpu under 80C and gpu under 75C it's fine (with fans at full speed or reaching full speed) it's almost what the ASUS G75VW temps are in load

3. pepzane

pepzane Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nice results

4. The_Shirt

The_Shirt Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It really depends on the game. For me, wow didn't make much difference (I use boot camp on the iMac). It is just easier to have boot camp set up, for me, so if I see something I want in windows only, I have it ready to go. There are many game I like that are windows only, so I just actually migrated to os x for working type things and boot camp for play...although I will likely use the Alienware for gaming unless the MBPr I just ordered is somehow more effective at gaming than the Alienware. And if I just want some peace while gaming...the iMac is in a back room where I can close out distractions.

5. vMars

vMars Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    99-105C for the CPU just by running 3d marks? This is ridiculous. This would never make through a stress test like prime95 or linx.

6. Speedy Gonzalez

Speedy Gonzalez Xtreme Notebook Speeder!

Reputations:
    if any body was thinking the base CPU was not enough for gaming on the rMBP that's not true the 650M is so bottleneck already is not even funny because messing with power options in windows I find out the setting max processor state from 50% to 100% it just disabled turbo on the CPU no matter what setting % you use

so running benchmarks with turbo enabled vs turbo disabled won't make no difference in framerates not even 1 frame but the max temp on the CPU is way down compared to running turbo enabled so here is a screen shoot of HWinfo64 after 1 hour of gameplay with fans at full

the best way to disable turbo is create a power plan for balanced mode where the CPU state wont go over 95% and let high performance plan alone that way you can switch between plans to disable turbo

in the screen shoot you can see the max temp of the GPU 65C if you overclock +135 mhz core and +300 mhz memory the max temp will be 67c so the 650M has so much overclock potential disabling turbo because since the GPU-CPU heat sinks are fusion together and the CPU is running cool the GPU is running even cooler

I have tested open world games to see if the CPU affect the framerates and all the time the frames are the same even games like crysis ans saboteur

Attached Files:

7. newfiejudd

newfiejudd Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Since the New EFI update my GPU throttle all the time. I have been unable ot play any games since the update. Even resetting the SMC has little effect.
    I am running with Turbo Disabled and Lubbo's to set my fan speeds to max. But nothing stops the GPU from throttling. Before the EFI update I had no issue with games, hell I was even OC'ing 135 all the time.

Any help on this woudl be greatly appreciated. Cheers

8. newfiejudd

newfiejudd Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Since the New EFI update my GPU throttle all the time. I have been unable ot play any games since the update. Even resetting the SMC has little effect.
    I am running with Turbo Disabled and Lubbo's to set my fan speeds to max. But nothing stops the GPU from throttling. Before the EFI update I had no issue with games, hell I was even OC'ing 135 all the time.

Any help on this woudl be greatly appreciated. Cheers

9. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    its a known issue, basically you can try to flash back or reset smc everytime you want to game

10. aphexpusher

aphexpusher Newbie

Reputations:
    could you elaborate on what you mean here? how do you flash back? and what does resetting smc do?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.