Retina MBP BootCamp Overclocking Results and Gaming Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by asdad123, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doh123

doh123 Without ME its just AWESO

Reputations:
    I'm not sure i trust most of the internal reading temps... so many apps reading temps broke, and many detect heat that say waaay too high of temps to be realistic. I'm not sure the internal reading of temps is right.

2. Speedy Gonzalez

Speedy Gonzalez Xtreme Notebook Speeder!

Reputations:
    I am sure that 105C is just the temp before the fans kick because I monitor the GPU temps in game and it gets to up 89c and then the fan kicks droping the temps to 74c-72c

3. newfiejudd

newfiejudd Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can use Lubbo's fan control, but it won't read the Temps correct but at least you can force your fans to high.

Not sure if the new rMBP still work with the SMC fan control trick. Start in OSx use SMC fan control to set your fans to high and restart your rMBP in windows, and your fans should still be on high :)

4. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The rMBP is nowhere near CPU limited, it's completely GPU limited. Is there a way to cap the CPU so it doesn't get so hot and crank up the GPU?

EDIT: the reason I say it's GPU limited is my system scores 3550 on 3DMark11 at stock clocks, and I'm using a 3610 not 3620.

5. dmk2

dmk2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You're just guessing because the internal CPU Tjunction temp tells you nothing about the temps anywhere else. It doesn't even tell you how much heat the CPU is putting out, let alone how much of that heat is trapped inside the case vs. exhausted through the cooling system.

If "the laptop only gets a little warm to the touch" as asdad123 put it, that's a good indication that the insides are not being subjected to excessive heat. It sounds like Apple has improved in this area vs. the previous unibody design.

6. Crimsoned

Crimsoned Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I got to handle a MBP+R today at the Apple Store, got the testing that I needed done. Too hot.

7. KernalPanic

KernalPanic White Knight

Reputations:
    Understand that if ANY part of my laptop or any laptop I worked on ever reached 105C at any time, I'd be turning it OFF and downclocking until it didn't reach 105C.

105C means that some of the internal components are actually being damaged.

There isn't a lot of room in there and with everything mashed together, ANYTHING reaching 105C is a problem.

The whole concept that you call the readings I am using "guessing" while you try to "feel" how warm something is to the touch on the keyboard is a special kind of ignorant.

I've worked on more laptops, and frankly even more Macbooks than most people here have ever seen.

If you own the mac and you are doing this, its your call. I just thought I'd try and warn you of just how horrible those temps are.

This doesn't mean you can't overclock... it just means you should probably get a notebook cooler for overclocking and definitely not game on your lap if you are a guy and ever want to have kids.

8. asdad123

asdad123 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So I had to get my rMBP replaced because I noticed very excessive light leakage on the screen (New one is pretty much perfect except for one spot, but compared to the old one its amazing).

The new one I got only gets up to 99C under benchmarking overclocked compared to the 105C of the other one.

I also used Lubbo's Fan control to max my fans, and the Processor only hit 87C and the gt650 only hit 69C while benchmarking lol

9. Genoskia

Genoskia Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I can't get over how much some people complain especially with temps! Apple thinks their hardware can handle these temps or they wouldn't have put what they have inside.

First off the programs that get the CPU into the 100+C range are synthetic test and i would say that barely any other program if any, will tax the CPU and GPU long enough at the same time to replicate those temps.

Second Macs have a reputation of getting hot and not ramping up the fans fast often resulting in CPU/GPU temp spikes... the machine doesn't stay hot enough for a long enough time to really hurt it.

I wouldn't worry about other parts heating up... the cooling system is designed to bring air in from everywhere and cools everything pretty good

10. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    you could try repasting it, see how much the temps go down, for the early 2011 15 it was 5-10c on benchies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.