Retina MBP BootCamp Overclocking Results and Gaming Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by asdad123, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Worst case, if you're using windows, you can limit adjust the CPU frequency to keep the CPU temps at bay. I do that on my MBA and never touch 70C (fan is not even noticeable) but then again, there's a performance sacrifice. So dunno, I'd rather repaste and have the temps under control.

2. Maurik

Maurik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A warm keyboard = warm / sweaty hands and that's my absolute worst nightmare :eek:
    With the aluminium conducting head better than composites used in other laptops, I worry about getting warm hands with those kinds of temperatures.

So I guess each to his own, though.

I didn't even think of the surrounding components and I agree that those overheating would be far more detrimental than the heat on just the CPU chip.

3. Kamzan

Kamzan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    becaus im new to the mac world and im about to change from aliewanre m18x to a RMBP , Im going to ask a newbish question :)

why is it that regardless version of games to mac OS , people still perfer to use bootcamp and install it on windows ? :)

4. doh123

doh123 Without ME its just AWESO

Reputations:
    you mean "some people" not just people.
    many games are designed and made for Windows/DirectX from the beginning, and the Mac port is done quickly as possible without optimization which ends up making it usually run much slower or worse... then companies often don't keep up with patches or updates or expansions on the Mac side... many mods people make are only for Windows, etc etc...

I'm sure everyone would rather play on OSX, but for many people they don't like the disadvantages, so just use Bootcamp so they have a PC.

5. Kamzan

Kamzan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So if im to get a mac and I paly things like BF3 / diablo 3 / max payne 3 then bootcamp is the way to go ?

6. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    i only gane on windows. doh123 is one of the developers for wine, it makes possible for windows programs to run on OSX, unluckily I have been unable to run stock trader platforms on it, thus I use windows a lot

7. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I once tried a ported version of Bad Company 2, lagged like hell even on the lowest settings.

Surprisingly it was holding 15fps+ on Win7

8. moviemarketing

moviemarketing Milk Drinker

Reputations:
    Thanks very much for this, asdad - I'm wondering if you can get some playable frame rates with any recent games at 2880x1800. For example, instead of using "Gamer" setting, if you reduce your AA or shadow quality, etc., on Crysis 2, can you get it up to 25-30 fps @2880x1800?

I'm considering picking one up primarily because of the display, but if I can't run any recent games at 2880x1800 with playable frame rate (at least with lower settings), then I'd rather go with something cheaper that I know for certain can run games on high at 1920x1080, such as a dv6t or Envy 15.

I'm just looking for at least 25-30 fps @1800p for games like Skyrim, Arma2, ME3, Sniper Elite V2, RAGE, Civ 5, DXHR, Dishonored, Bioshock Infinite, perhaps with lower draw distance, shadow quality, etc., MSAA disabled and using FXAA instead, etc.

9. doh123

doh123 Without ME its just AWESO

Reputations:
    Wine is always a constant work in progress. Basically you have to get commands from the software and replicate the same results back and on the screen as Windows would with no documentation on how Windows works... In gaming there is also the Direct3D->OpenGL layer that can slow things down too. It gets better all the time. Some programs and games run fantastic... some won't run at all, but most are in the middle somewhere that may or may not run good enough.

If you can get a game running good at 2880x1800, just disable AA, as you shouldn't need it at that res anyways, unless you still lean really closely to the sxcreen and don't play at a normal distance. At a normal distance you shouldn't be able to see the pixels anyways, hence the whole "retina" thing.
    The only game in your list I play is Civ5, but the Mac version runs great, but you don't want to play a huge late game on 2880x1800, though it is playable. No idea if it works better in Windows, because I don't use Windows.

10. KernalPanic

KernalPanic White Knight

Reputations:
    Someone should point out that 105C on the cpu is not just a warm keyboard.

Those are critical heat levels for a laptop on any component as they are all squished in there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.