Retina MBP BootCamp Overclocking Results and Gaming Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by asdad123, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crimsoned

Crimsoned Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is a laptop not a desktop, components get packed jam inside a laptop so temperatures affect all parts. Processors will throttle at about 105c, the issue isn't the processor it's the surrounding components.

In my testing I've fried 6/6 laptop motherboards by replicating 105c temperatures in hotboxes (cardboard boxes with no ventilation, sealed with duct tape with 3 temp diodes) while putting the laptop on load.
    3 Intel systems (Core 2 duo's)
    3 AMD Systems
    One of the AMD systems had failing ram module however the ram unfortunately was not tested before so it could have been there.
    All 6 motherboards had thermals replaced, as well as new cmos batteries prior to testing.
    Oddly enough, on all 3 Intel laptops the USB ports failed before the motherboard died.
    The motherboards worked fine while idle. It's one thing to survive at 105c but only feeding 3/10ths of your power envelope to components and running at 105c but feeding 8/10ths of your power envelope.
    Power systems flat out are not capable of getting anywhere near 105c, and in laptops I am afraid it is a reality.

2. asdad123

asdad123 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    To be honest, even though it reaches 105C, there is no need for an external keyboard and mouse. The laptop only gets a little warm to the touch (atleast in my opinion) that it does not bother me.

3. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    Sincerely I can only see that this RMBP should come with haswell, with their lower TDPs. And that is one of the main reasons that Im going to wait next year, dont mind me saying that this is one hell of a machine, even with ivy

4. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    You'll endup in the same situation. Die shrink doesn't mean the processors run less hot. Most of the time it means that the manufacturers will add more transistors and offer higher clocks within the same TDP budget. So next year, we'll get 6-8core CPU's clocked @ 2.5-3.5GHz within the same 45W.

5. Karamazovmm

Reputations:
    highly doubt of 6-8 cores in mobile next year, and I wouldnt get one if availbale, though very tempting.

But aikimox its a not die shrink, its a whole new arch with a new set of tdp, lets hope that the chipsets dont lag like they did when moving to SB, but from the leaks so far they dont appear to be

6. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Penryn -> Clarksfield -> Sandy Bridge -> Ivy Bridge - I didn't notice a lower TDP tendency and we are talking more than 4 years of progress here. What makes you think that HW is going to change that?

7. Karamazovmm

Reputations:
    the current leaks so far it seems that the xm models are going to be 47w of tdp, while the mainstream stuff at 37w.

and you are correct the tendency in fact has been to stay on the 35w, 45w for mainstream

8. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    It means (if true) that the next gen of notebooks will have smaller fans and less robust cooling to allow for slimmer form factor. I think we'll be seeing the exact same temps.

@Everyone,

Has any of the RMBP owners tried repasting the CPU and/or using fan controlling programs? I wonder if it's technically possible to slash 10C of the load temps and keep it under 90C under load.

9. Karamazovmm

Reputations:
    given that when the unibody 15 was launched, it suffered some design changes, that I liked more to be honest, its not out of question that this could be one thing that they would do, hopefully this chassis is final, like the 2009 models were and they will stay the same until the chassis goes EOL

10. gamerish

gamerish Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Since the the CPU doesn't managa temp under load nearly as well as the GPU can we just overclock the GPU or will the 3720 bottleneck performance?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.