Retina MBP BootCamp Overclocking Results and Gaming Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by asdad123, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asdad123

asdad123 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  2. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
  3. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Thanks, nice of Apple not to lock these limits and they also have set them so high that they will never get in the way of getting full Turbo Boost. Too bad PC manufacturers didn't do the same.

TS 5.00 is the first version to support Ivy Bridge.

4. asdad123

Reputations:
    No artifacts whatsoever during the benching. Running Crysis 2 and Warhead benchmarks in a bit.

Ill be playing some games this weekend and Ill reply with how it has been at these clocks.

5. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Are you saying we could use the 400MHz partial OC' on the RMBP?

6. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Aikimox: Apple has left the Turbo Power Limits unlocked but I am not sure if the multipliers are locked on this CPU or if ThrottleStop has the ability to increase them.

asdad123: Can you post a screen shot of the ThrottleStop Turbo Ratio Limits window? (TRL button)
    If it is unlocked, I am not sure if ThrottleStop or some version of Intel XTU will be able to do any magic in there.

You could also try running a single threaded application, even a single thread of the TS Bench, and see what multipliers are reported while that is running. I will have to do some more reading about this CPU.

7. asdad123

Reputations:
    Here you go:

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q509/jakubp12/trl.jpg

They are not greyed out and can be changed.

To be honest, I haven't noticed a real difference between throttlestop on and throttlestop off (unlike how on my M11xR2 it was like night and day). Maybe I am doing something wrong?

8. doh123

doh123 Without ME its just AWESO

Reputations:
    do you really have to put giant pictures on the forum... we really want to see all that wasted space of your desktop instead of just cropping it down to useful info...

edit: Thanks for the picture change :)

9. unclewebb

Reputations:
    The M11x-R2 was one sick puppy out of the box. Running ThrottleStop was almost mandatory when overclocking the R2 in the bios. It really woke up those low power UM CPUs.

Your new laptop is running great as is and doesn't appear to have any major issues. ThrottleStop not improving the performance of your new laptop is a good thing. That means the manufacturer did some proper testing and got things right before shipping it. All of the PC laptop manufacturers could learn a thing or two here.

How high can the Turbo Ratio Limits be adjusted in ThrottleStop? Do the adjusters all max out at 36? I will look up the official Intel specs tomorrow when I get the chance.

You can use Paint if you need to do some quick cropping. I appreciate the data but my eyes need all the help they can get too. :)

Edit: OK, the Core i7-3720QM has the following maximum Turbo Boost multipliers.

1 core active - 36
    2 cores active - 35
    3 cores active - 34
    4 cores active - 34

I am not 100% familiar with what these new Ivy Bridge mobile CPUs can do yet but ThrottleStop seems to be reporting that even when all 4 cores of your CPU are fully loaded, it can overclock and still use the 36 multiplier. For a quick test of this feature you can run Prime95 or the TS Bench test; set that to 8 threads and see what multipliers ThrottleStop reports. That test puts out a lot of heat so you only need to run it long enough to get a screen shot. Email it to me at the address in the About box of ThrottleStop and I will be happy to crop it for you! A full load 36 multiplier would be awesome to see.

Make sure the Set Multiplier option is maxed out to Turbo and that is checked. With your Turbo Power Limits set so high by Apple, the only thing holding you back from 34 multis across the board when fully loaded would be too much heat. A 36 would be like a bonus but you might need a meat locker for that. :D

10. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Wow, that's a little over the limit buddy. Try buying a penta screwdriver from ifixit and do a repaste

Imagine if the voltage can be upped O_O

I'm predicting 1.3GHz+ speeds

Intel XTU only runs at HM67 (equiv HM77), and not on HM65 (equiv HM76). So I'm not confident about the XTU working on the rMBP

I wonder if the partial 400MHz OC on the 3720QM's and unlocked TPL applies on the standard MBP non-R. Since I don't have the money to buy the retina

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.