Retina Display - when will they come to PCs?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by TSE, Jun 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TSE

TSE Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    When do you think Retina Displays will come to PCs?

Intel has said that 2013 they will, but as most of you know Apple has had the Retina display on both their iPhones and iPads for awhile and the competition has not yet caught up with them in those markets.

2. truekiller28

truekiller28 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The futur High-Res screens will come on PC but won't be called Retina (specific to Apple). I expect these kind of screen to come by Early 2013 (Around February).

3. Indrek

Indrek Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What do you mean "will come"? Any 15" WUXGA or FullHD panel qualifies as retina from normal viewing distances. Sony has had FullHD in 13" form factors for several years, and 2nd-gen ultrabooks are doing that as well. Some ThinkPads had retina-class displays in the non-widescreen era (15" QXGA Flexview, 12" SXGA+). This is nothing new, Apple just slapped a fancy name on an old idea.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing one level higher resolutions in current form factors (HD+ in 12", FHD in 14", QFHD in 17" and so on), but going to the same extremes as Apple seems fairly pointless. Also, I hope someone will come up with a better word for these displays (other than just high-res), so we can stop using the word retina.

4. __-_-_-__

__-_-_-__ God

Reputations:
    never. "retina display" is pure marketing, it's not a product.

5. AMATX

AMATX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's also poor grammar. 'retina' is a noun, NOT an adjective or adverb, which would be appropriate here.

Proper wording would be 'Retinal Display', but that's not as much as an eye-catcher, is it? Retinal conjures up pictures of one's last colonoscopy exam...

6. misterhobbs

misterhobbs Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I was more thinking an ophthalmology or optometry exam, but to each their own :p .

7. HopelesslyFaithful

HopelesslyFaithful Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    again...it is called a high resolution display.....how many times will i have to say this....

The new 4k/quad HD screens suck...we are going to 16:9 to 17.x/9. it keeps getting worse and worse for computers

8. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    After reading the Anandtech review of the new 'retina display' capable MBP, I hope that when they do come to PC's, they will be implemented at the O/S level in a much better fashion and will make much better/direct use of the GPU('s).

The amount of putzing around that OS/x and the GPU's have to do is simply stupid (and wasteful, imo) to get this kind of resolution - hope MS Win7 supports such high resolutions on a notebook properly when they're finally available.

If an OS/x type 'kludge' solution is used - I'll definitely pass on the PC side too until the issues are properly addressed.

9. EasyCruz

EasyCruz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Consider the Dell XPS One 27 $1999 direct Native Resolution 2560 x 1440

You will get similar viewing angles as the HP Omni 27 ($1,249 direct) and Apple iMac 27-inch (Thunderbolt) ($1,999). The screen itself is crisp and bright with decent viewing angles and 2,560 by 1,440 resolution. The screen is large enough to work as a mid-sized HDTV as well as a large screen all-in-one desktop PC.

Type Multimedia, All-in-one
    Processor Speed 3.1 GHz
    Processor Name Intel Core i7-3770S
    RAM 8 GB
    Storage Capacity 2032 GB 7200RPM
    Graphics Card nVidia GeForce GT 630M
    Monitor Type LCD Widescreen
    Screen Size 27 inches
    Native Resolution 2560 x 1440

Consider MacBook Pro 15-inch (Retina Display) $ 2184 Native Resolution 2880 x 1800

The Retina display itself is glorious. The resolution is 2,880 by 1,800, which sounds like a lot, but text is scaled so it doesn't look too small. Instead of making the letters smaller like on the iPhone 4 or 4S (to see this effect, use one to visit a non-mobile-optomized Website), Apple kept the font sizes consistent with what you'd expect in the real world and just made them smoother. In contrast, text on a MacBook Air looks smooth from your seat, but the individual letters are still jaggy close up. Text on the new MacBook Pro looks smooth from both far away and close up, as if it were laser printed on paper.

If there's any drawback to the Retina display, it's that all of your existing Mac applications will have to be updated for it (kind of like what happened with the iPhone 4/4S and latest iPad). Apple-sourced apps like Safari, Final Cut Pro, and Aperture look terrific, but non-optimized apps like Google Chrome will show upscaled and jaggy fonts. It's a problem that's likely to go away as more developers update their programs, but it's an annoyance right now.

Type General Purpose, Media, Business
    Processor Speed 2.3 GHz
    Processor Name Intel Core i7-3615QM
    RAM 8 GB
    Storage Capacity 256 GB Rotation Speed SSD
    Graphics Card Nvidia GeForce GT 650M
    Screen Size 15.4 inches
    Native Resolution 2880 x 1800

10. GalaxySII

GalaxySII Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    why do u want it for?
    why people are so brainwashed with apple crap ..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.