restore lost folders / desktop?

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by utente, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. utente

utente Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had a folder on my desktop and yesterday it disappeared. I also had some files in a folder "untitled folder" with some numbers after the "untitled folder" and, although I was able to save files to it, I can't find it on the hard drive.

I've had my Mac for a few months (and love it) but there are still so many things that I haven't figured out. On Windows you can "restore" the computer to a former date and have things just the way they were on that date.

Is that possible with OSX? It's not a disaster. Nothing critical lost (I hope) but I'm wondering what happened and what I might have done to "lose" those folders.

Any ideas?

2. StrongerThanAll

StrongerThanAll Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    what kind of files were they? were they files created by an application?

3. joshuaLX

joshuaLX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Are you using Time Machine at all?

4. utente

Reputations:
    Oh, no! I thought that the folder on the desktop was just an "alias" and that the files were kept with the documents associated with the program: OpenOffice. I don't remember deleting the folder on the desktop or moving it.

Now that I've checked, the file is gone (for good?) It was patient accounts (billing) and, no, of course I hadn't set up Time Machine.

If the files were deleted, is there a way to restore them?

5. Khris

Khris Yes I am better than you!

Reputations:
    Yes, it's called Time Machine. There are several posts already on the forums on how to use it/set it up, and a Google search will reveal even more.

6. utente

Reputations:
    Thanks. I was under the impression that Time Machine was only a backup program, not something that could restore the system (the way Windows does).

Meanwhile, though, I found a program on the Apple site called "File Salvage" that's supposed to restore deleted files.

Does anybody know anything about that program?