1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Resetting my NC10

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by uzubairu, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uzubairu

uzubairu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've sold my black NC10 (just bought a lovely white one instead - no unsightly fingerprints), and need to get it ready for the buyer.

What do I need to do and how?

2. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Restore it back to its factory state using the recovery/install discs or partition.

If you had sensitive personal data in there, i suggest running DBAN or killdisk to make sure it is irretrievable.

3. whizzo

whizzo Advocatus Diaboli

Reputations:
    nuke the disc with DBAN and reinstall the OS (via disc or recovery partition). if you want to be nice, update drivers etc as well :

4. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Pages 4-5 of the Using Samsung Recover Solution booklet describe how to do a complete restore of the operating system as you originally configured it.

Or page 10 of the same booklet explains how to reinstall Windows from the supplied system recovery CD. You would then also need to install the drivers etc from the System software disc.

The second option requires that you have an external optical drive, so the first option is likely to be the easiest (press F4 when the computer is starting to boot).

John

5. mauwong

mauwong Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just a warning that by using Samsung Recovery Solution, its not really a complete factory install configuration (i.e. computer name and login name initially set are retained and saved under the hidden partition which would show up after recovery).

6. uzubairu

Reputations:
    I noticed that and thought I had done something wrong.

Can anything be done about that (although it isn't a problem because I've just changed the name)?

7. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I think that is the best you can do. If the purchaser has a USB optical drive then they can make a clean installation from the discs.

John

8. uzubairu

Reputations:
    Thank you very much guys.

Your responses have been quick and very helpful.

Much appreciated. :)

9. panman1964

panman1964 Newbie

Reputations:
    Given that it is relatively easy to obtain software that can recover deleted information even from reformatted HDDs the only secure way of disposing of any PC is to remove the drive, get some proper wiping software & completely flatten it (or swap out the hdd before selling) from another PC

In the NC10s case this will also mean killing the hidden partion to get rid of that initial backup.

Of course this means you'll lose the Recovery Solution functionality and you'll also have to reinstall an OS from a bootable USB stick or external drive.

Getting it back to a clean factory setup is going to be (almost) near impossible as Samsung appear to use grub4dos (and/or Phoenix FirstWareTM Recover ) to chainload the Recovery solution and any other OS.

http://www.sammynetbook.com/plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?7832.20#post_8827