]]>

Reseller & Product Review: HIDEvolution & the Aorus X5 V7

Discussion in 'Gigabyte and Aorus' started by Gumwars, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Gumwars

Gumwars Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've officially had the laptop for just shy of two weeks and it appears to have died on me. I was at work, had the laptop at my workstation and was doing work related stuff on my company PC when it looked like the laptop screen turned off due to lack of activity. When I tried to wake it up, nothing. The power button light is on as is the led indicator furthest to the right (looks like a lit lightbulb) and the Aorus logo on the backside of the display lid. I've tried hard resetting (hold the power button for 4 seconds) and nothing. The unit blinks for a half second and returns to its previous state.

I'm going to try and see if manually unplugging the battery does something. If that is a no-go, I'll be in touch with HID on Monday. I hope this isn't a big deal...

2. Gumwars

Gumwars Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    FINAL THOUGHTS

Well, I would have to say that for the 12 days I owned it, the X5 V7 was a great laptop. I returned it yesterday and requested a refund. In the interim, I purchased an Alienware 15 R3, which hasn't been as exciting to look at, but I can say that it works. HID Evolution, on the other hand, have handled this part of the process extremely well. Ted K. and Adam C. have both been super helpful, cooperative, and thoughtful in working through this final stage of my Aorus ownership experience.

I saw a number of reviews across the internet that cautioned against purchasing from Aorus. I did some quick, off the cuff math in my head and reasoned that a small percentage of owners likely run into these issues, what are the odds that it would happen to me? Well, if the manufacturer is someone like Dell or MSI, then the pool might be big enough to use this sort of rationale. However, I don't think Aorus sells on that scale, which means the number of shoddy units in circulation are possibly approaching the number of good ones. In the end, I see this laptop as being a very good concept of what can be done in a small form factor. In practice, Aorus needs to work harder in making sure units don't die after two weeks of use.

3. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have the feeling with Gigabyte and Aorus laptops that it is just a step too far everytime. They like to make the thinnest or lightest laptops but it always comes at a price in my experiences unfortunately. But nice that they could solve it for you.

Gumwars likes this.
  4. Gumwars

Gumwars Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If the mantra is thin and light it should never be at the expense of simply working. Gigabyte is trying to establish a foothold in a market where ASUS, Alienware, and MSI have been solid for a long time with products that have well documented reliability. Sure, my X5 was gorgeous and svelt but it full on croaked after two weeks. It's method of failure was one reported by multiple other owners as well, with several of those reports posted directly to Aorus's website. This is not a forgivable error when the product costs as much as a used car.

The only silver lining was HID. They handled the process well.