[Research] Retrofitting an eDP display to M18x R2

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by MagicMike, Apr 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MagicMike

MagicMike Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi all

Recently bought a M18x R2, and am weighing my options for a GPU upgrade. It currently has a GTX765M.

I have read a number of threads here as far as options go, and the most interesting one is obviously the 1070. I gather due to the LVDS display type some jiggery pokery is required to get things off the ground.

So I have a theory I would like to run by you kind folks, what if:

* it was possible to replace the original panel with this one, assuming it is eDP:
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/113709947601

* then connect it via an eDP to LVDS adapter to the mainboard, I mean maybe this one:

https://www.laptopspareparts.co.uk/blq-edp-hd-cable-dd0blqlc010-screen-lvds-flex-lcd

* and maybe then all this faff with the SG mode and the iGPU malarchy can be forgotten and with an unlocked bios the below GPU would "just" work with the internal LCD?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/323752845882

Now, I do realize there is a high likelihood I may be talking out of my ass, so I won't mind for my wishful thinking to be shot down in flames!

Would appreciate your feedback on whether you think this could be pulled of:)

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  2. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    The lcd cable on the m18x r2 does not use that connection type like the one you linked.

3. MagicMike

Reputations:
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  4. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I once tried directly wiring a edp port for a 4K 18.4’’ lcd I found on taobao. This was on an Alienware 18 but I used the mini display port capacitors to a solder wires for data pins, I can’t remember properly but it was 8 I believe. The power was the main concern though. I maybe fried the circuit somehow but the voltage was no cause for concern as 18.4’’ edp screen uses 5v too (same as default lvds).

All in all I tried the screen connected with a 4K cable and the laptop beeped, I remember the beep code being display error or bad cable. I tried the original cable on the motherboard and it was the same. I basically failed, it could have been due to two things: I didn’t correctly solder the lvds detection wire to the edp cable so it wouldn’t work or I fried the circuit by joining a data pin to the 5v line which essentially killed the mdp ic and lcd probably.

Remember I tried this with a alienware 18 not 18x r2. You will most definitely have better luck with an adapter...

5. MagicMike

Reputations:
    Thanks for responding, I guess the bigger question is, let's say you had succeeded with connecting the edp display, do you think that you could just plug a Pascal card into the MXM slot and it would just work in PEG mode (heatsink and bios modding aside) ?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

6. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Probably not, because there was no output via the mdp even with direct peg mode. It seems like something else is causing an issue. I only wanted to do the upgrade for the 4K resolution.

I’ve sold the laptop now, there are many flaws with it which I couldn’t bare. Plus I fried the mb there was little I could do. I bought a p870dmg instead. And am modding it currently to support a 9900k. A laptop way more capable than any I’ve seen out there.

MagicMike likes this.
  7. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Be very careful when messing with LVDS/EDP pin configuration, it’s very easy to screw up if you do not have schematics, send power some place it should not be going and fry the board or fry the display.

M18x-oldie likes this.
  8. MagicMike

Reputations:
    At this stage I wasnt going to do anything, I wanted to research it first to see whether the risk is something I am willing to accept, but so far the risk seems very high so yeah, definitely not going to be messing with that yet:)

9. Lumlx

Lumlx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The panel you linked is not edp. Its same panel used in MSI GT80 and GT83VR. Its lvds panel. As far as I know only asus 18.4" sli laptop had 4k edp panel.

10. MagicMike

Reputations:
    DaMafiaGamer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.