Requesting Metabox/Clevo bios update

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Johndill, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Try giving 18.04 a go. 18.04 is the Long Term Support version so a lot of more obscure packages are more readily available.
    Also make sure that you run "apt-get update" prior to any installations to ensure APT is actually grabbing the correct versions.

Johndill likes this.
  2. Johndill

Johndill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Success!! I used 18.04 instead as you suggested and I was able to install all tools this time :) I was able to read the cracked panel edid (edid was good), dump it, install good corrupt panel and the checksum was wrong, dump the bad edid, write the good edid, reboot and it now displays and works! :-D

Thank you @Stooj for your awsome help with this and for the setps :)

Attached Files:

3. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's great to hear!

I'm quite fortunate in discovering the issue, mostly because I use Linux every day. For Windows users the freeze on boot or Code43 GPU driver is taken as "this motherboard/GPU is dead, you need to RMA it". Makes me wonder just how many motherboards are sitting in a "dead pile" somewhere when the reality is the EDID just got corrupted :vbconfused:

Johndill likes this.
  4. Johndill

Reputations:
    That's very true, I wish I had access to a dump so I could bring home the decent systems and fix them. :-D

Now that I understand how easy it was to do (after using the correct version), you can make a post about it (or even make a light USB bootable image with these tools pre-installed for easy setup and use or even a windows application) and hopfully over time we can gather enough info from the community using this method to determin why this happens and how to distinguish it from a dead GPU or an EDID issue. I have only recently come across the code 43 issue a few times.

I would have put my family members laptop down as a GPU issue until I found that the GPU worked perfectly in "Discrete" mode and would have left it in that mode for him if it wan't for your help. :-D

5. Johndill

Reputations:
    I have found a pre-setup USB bootable Linux image with the required tools included and a library of EDID's to use for fixing corrupt EDID's in this tread here, the link is the "Live and persistent Linux with edid tools (760 MB)" button and there is instructions on how to use it. :)

6. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well there you go! I probably could've saved myself a lot of googling and head-scratching if I searched the forum :D

Johndill likes this.
  7. Johndill

Reputations:
    I only came across it looking for some other information. :-D

I just tried it out now to backup my M18x R2 EDID before setting up Windows 10. It's got all the tools installed and folders for it on the desktop with an instructional txt file on there too. :)

This EDID tool/image should be in a pinned thread as this is very important! And not half way through a 58 page thread.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019