Requesting Metabox/Clevo bios update

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Johndill, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Johndill

Johndill Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks for your reply, Metabox have replied and I've got the BIOS from them so I'll give it a go when I can and let you know the results. :)

The display works during boot but goes black before the login screen, the intel graphics works on the basic driver when the HD drivers are uninstalled but go black when the HD graphics are installed.

The GTX 1070 works without issues, it's currently running in "DISCRETE" graphics mode without issue on the laptop display and have not had error 43 on the GTX 1070.

The EDID issue is the reason I haven't gone to Win10 on my Alienware yet unless it has been resolved now? :)

2. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Good to know. Good luck with the BIOS flash.

Indeed, mine worked in Discrete mode as well, so long as the driver was an older version (or default Windows version). Newer versions failed which is how I had noticed something was wrong.

The bug in EVGA Precision X1 was fixed, however the core issue is that the EDID should not have shipped in a read/write state as anything could stumble onto that I2C bus and break things. I'm not sure how that could be fixed without some sort of flashing of the EDID controller.

The workaround is to keep a copy of the working EDID (can be dumped in Linux) and save it in case of corruption. Then flash it in Linux it if it does go pear-shaped.

Johndill likes this.
  3. Johndill

Johndill Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have updated it with the BIOS sent to me by Metabox and I have updated the BIOS from 1.05.01 to 1.05.07.

Unfortunalty it has not fixed the intel graphics black screen so I am going to run it in "DISCRETE" graphics mode for now as this is a family members system required for Uni studies so I only have a few days to get it ready for him.

Windows 10 has auto installed 382.05 so that's easy. :)

That would be good, do you have a link to some instructions on dumping the EDID in Linux? I have both older Alienware models that users reported having this issue and a backup would be handy to have. :)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  4. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You'll want to update that asap. The Nvidia drivers have been found to have some serious security flaws which have been patched in newer versions. 431.70 is the newest.
    So you may still have the EDID issue.

Unfortunately no links to instructions as I had to basically make it up as I went with lots of Googling. I might make a topic once I can organise my notes on it into something resembling a how-to. Basically I used a combination of edid-decode (available in Ubuntu repos), i2cdump/i2cset/i2cdetect (available in Ubuntu repos) and edid-rw from Github (LINK).

edid-rw: This can read and write the entire EDID from your i2c device.
    edid-decode: Useful for reading in the EDID dumped from edid-rw. It lists useful info like manufacturer/modes/specs and can confirm the Checksum (immediately tells you if it's corrupt).
    i2cdump: i2cdump can dump the raw HEX values
    i2cset: I used i2cset as it can set registers individually instead of writing the whole EDID. In my case it was only a single register that failed. From what I've read, writing the entire EDID is also far less reliable so if the EDID is only corrupted in a few registers, it's preferable to only correct those.

5. Johndill

Johndill Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It's currently on 389.xx now and working but I tried the latest version and the display freezes up at login. Bad EDID side affect?

Thanks for that info, I'll have to try a backup before installing Win 10 on my Alienware. :)

So would i2cset maybe fix the EDID on the Metabox?

6. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Possibly. Mine would always login but would run into Code43 issues. If it is a bad EDID, it's hard to know what the overall effects would be.

I would suggest dumping the EDID to check it. I think you might be able to do this with MonInfo. Link

In Linux you can dump it with "edid-rw" and piping it to "edid-decode". You can use "i2cdetect" to figure out which bus the EDID is on.

For example, my P650RP6-G looked like this when it was corrupted (EDID is on i2c device 4):
    Code:
    root@metabox-P65xRP:~/edid-rw-1.0# ./edid-rw 4 | edid-decode
    EDID version: 1.4
    Manufacturer: LGD Model 46f Serial Number 0
    Made in year 2014
    Digital display
    6 bits per primary color channel
    DisplayPort interface
    Maximum image size: 34 cm x 19 cm
    Gamma: 2.20
    DPMS levels: Standby Suspend Off
    Supported color formats: RGB 4:4:4, YCrCb 4:4:4
    First detailed timing includes the native pixel format and preferred refresh rate
    Display x,y Chromaticity:
      Red:   0.6396, 0.3447
      Green: 0.3349, 0.6250
      Blue:  0.1503, 0.0517
      White: 0.3134, 0.3291
    Established timings supported:
    Standard timings supported:
    Detailed mode: Clock 138.700 MHz, 344 mm x 194 mm
                   1920 1968 2000 2080 hborder 0
                   1080 1083 1088 1111 vborder 0
                   +hsync -vsync
                   VertFreq: 60 Hz, HorFreq: 66682 Hz
    Detailed mode: Clock 110.900 MHz, 344 mm x 194 mm
                   1920 1968 2000 2080 hborder 0
                   1080 1083 1088 1111 vborder 0
                   +hsync -vsync
                   VertFreq: 47 Hz, HorFreq: 53317 Hz
    ASCII string: 3874Y
    Monitor descriptor block has byte 4 nonzero (0x70)
    Manufacturer-specified data, tag 0
    Checksum: 0x92 (should be 0x22)
    Note, the only thing really out of place is the Checksum. Other more corrupted EDIDs will come up with nothing or complete garbage.

7. Johndill

Johndill Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I connected up a test LCD and the intel graphics is working! So I assume that would put it down to an EDID issue on the original panel.

I have a cracked panel of the exact same model, would I be able to read the good EDID off the broken panel and flash it to the good panel or can I swap the chip containing the EDID? I have the rework tools for the hardware swap if that's possible.

8. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sounds like it to me.

If it's only the panel/glass that is broken then you should be able to read out the old EDID and compare/flash to the current panel.

9. Johndill

Johndill Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have installed a new IPS screen from a different manufacturer for him so his Metabox is in 100% working condition for his studies so I can return the laptop to him.

That means I'll be keeping the corrupt EDID panel and can work on fixing it. :)

Yes, it's just a cracked panel so I'll try your steps to dump the good EDID and then flash it to the corrupt panel. :) I'll be working with the displays in my Alienware 15 R1.

10. Johndill

Johndill Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I am unable to use edid-rw as I can't get python-smbus, "sudo apt-get install python-smbus edid-decode" doesn't find either of those packages, I am going insane trying to get this to work, I hate Linux with a pasion :-D I am using Ubuntu 19.04 live USB, I tried finding the packages separatly and found edid-decode but can't get python-smbus, please HELP! I can't stand Linux :-D

Meaker@Sager likes this.