[Request] How to dissassemble a laptop heatsink

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by TheReciever, Nov 26, 2016.

1. TheReciever

TheReciever Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello all!

I plan to modify my recently acquired Lenovo Y510p in a few months but for the time being I need to get some planning and reading done.

My biggest problem thus far is how can I take apart the laptop heatsink without damage to the fin array and the heatpipes themselves? If anyone has seen some material online I could use for reference I would love to see it. I could be using the wrong keywords, but all I can find is articles about cleaning dust and repasting, not what I am needing lol.

I read somewhere that you can put it in the oven for a while and the fin array will fall from the heatpipes. I am guessing this is not a universal solution and simply trying it out may be risky since heatpipes explode when not cooled.

Anyways would love to get some ideas kicking around, I am resolute in modding my y510p (again) and later y410p when ever I get one. This could also be used for reference for others that may be interested as well.

Cheers!

2. ChanceJackson

ChanceJackson Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For future enthusiasts with the same question I suggest oven method but don't go above 325f to decrease risk of thermal expansion

Last edited: May 19, 2017