Replacing the ccfl tube into an LED backlight( CF-30 LCD)

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by ohlip, Dec 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    I've got a chance to replaced the ccfl tube of another cf-30MK2 Toughbook into two LED backlight strips and its amazing. It has a vibrant color, no yellowish or redish color no more. This Toughbook has a flickering redish backlight whrn I got it.

First: you need an shematic for lcd specifically the inverter side to identify the VCC, Ground, BLPWM and the ON/off line.
    Second: assuming that you already pull out the lcd panel from the bezel. Now! unscrew the two screw at both side where the metal guide located, then followed by four screw total on the metal frame. They are all hidden as they are all cover by plastic with rubber bumper. then carefully detach the metal frame on the lcd.
    Third: unscrew two screw where the buttom metal support on the CCFl tube and then pull it out backward. Then followed by taking out the ccfl metal case. always be patient on doing it. This ccfl metal case with the tube is no longer needed(garbage)
    Fourth; Now! Install the two LED strips into the metal support case facing upward. These strips has already an adhesive, If not, you can use 3M led strips double sided tape.
    Fifth; Before assembling the lcd with new led backlight, make sure to add addition deflector at the back( prefer black or metal plate also) line up to the front plastic frame. This is a must so that not to create a shadow when the LCD is on at the button part.

ohlip

See a few photo below for your reference.

Attached Files:

Toughbook, onirakkiss, Azrial and 2 others like this.
  2. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    onirakkiss likes this.
  3. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Teo.... Awesome! Where did you get the LED strips? Ebay?

4. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Teo... Your workbench looks as messy as mine! LOL

5. Karnaugh49

Karnaugh49 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Does the entire screen illuminate evenly?
    Your LEDs look smaller and more of them than onirakkiss. I suspect this will provide a more even lighting??
    Do you have a source for the driver?

Looks very nice. Especially the wallpaper.

-GB

6. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    Oh! yah..Got no time clean it up. Everything must there when I need it, lol...Btw, here where I've got the led strips and drivers.

270mm 13 3inch Laptop LED Backlight Strip Kit Update 13 3inch LCD Laptop to LED | eBay

I can't find a single driver with two slot for Led strips. What mostly available with two slot has a 12Vdc input while on Toughbook you only have 5Vdc supply. You can still use those 12Vdc but you need an step up regulator. The one I used has input voltage of 5-20Vdc which is perfect for this project.
    What I did is using two driver for each led strips and then connected parallel into an inverter supply line of the Toughbook.

To karnaugh49; yes! it illuminate evenly and remember I used two Led strip on it as picture above. They are both installed.

ohlip

Shawn likes this.
  7. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    What would you guess the nit rating to be?

Toughbook likes this.
  8. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Excellent question!

[​IMG]

toughasnails likes this.
  9. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    By comparison to one of my CF-30MK2 with only 500hrs. Its almost the same on full brightness but the one with an LED, its more vibrant in color and clearer.

ohlip

10. Azrial

Azrial Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    To be honest buddy, this sounds a lot like your imigination!

But to be fair, I am willing to let you make the modification to mine so I can offer an unbiased opinion on it... :wink:

Toughbook and I58SR like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.