Replacing Screen on T450?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by giantcrab, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Warchest

Warchest Newbie

Reputations:
    I also would be interested in this as i also have a t450 but with a 1600x900 display.

2. punksluck

punksluck Newbie

Reputations:
    This is exactly what I'm looking to do as well. I've got the basic TN 1366x768 display and would like to instal a full HD IPS display. I can't find any information on the Lenovo forums. Most online display sellers suggest that the edp cable would have to be replaced for a duel channel one.
    Also, would replacing this display blow any fuses in the laptop?

Any help on this would be truely appreciated. :)

3. Lyserg

Lyserg Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm in the same boat. New job, given a ThinkPad T450 - what a colossal piece of crap screen this thing has. Makes my head hurt. No joy getting a new one - "This is our official enterprise machine."

So, out to the internet, and a few minutes of Googling later:

Full HD IPS screen, for about $75.

I may have to try this. Punksluck, the biggest warning in the discussion of this procedure seems to be MAKE SURE you remove BOTH batteries and the power cord, so you don't risk blowing the motherboard. No issues with cable, it's a drop-in replacement, no issues with fuses reported that I could see.

Good luck!

4. t30power

t30power Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've attempted to swap the LCD screen with the AUO B140han01.2, and while the screen works I cannot control the brightness, maybe the B140han01.3 version? On my T440p the 1.2 version works ok with the brightness levels but not on the T450, have anyone succesfully made the brightness slider change when doing the swap? Or maybe I should buy the complete assembly off ebay?

Also, I noticed the sticker on the AUO is says Do not touch, but on the original screen you have to peel off that sticker and reapply it? Or maybe I did something wrong.?
    And is a pain in the ass removing the decal bezel and then the bezel, in the process I broke a small tab on the bezel that attach to the left side of the screen.

5. drewwesley

drewwesley Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is your screen matte or glossy?
    Can you control the screen's brightness?

6. jes327

jes327 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the Lenovo T450 model number 20BV0005US and purchased my 1920 x 1080 WUXDA LCD screens at ScreenCountry.com. There I searched using the words "Thinkpad T450 20BV Series" and found and purchased both the glossy and matte 1920x1080 WUXDA Non-Touch LCD panels that were available for my T450. I ignored where it said "New replacement screen must have same size, resolution and backlight type as your original screen!" and scrolled down and found both the matte and glossy 1080P WUXDA screens there. Both were made by LG as it turned-out. I tried both in my T450. I liked the glossy LCD panel better. I couldn't control brightness using my keyboard for either LCD panel, but was able to very easily in the HD Graphics Control Panel. My T450 doesn't have Nvidia graphics. I updated the "Display Adapters Driver" to the latest driver by downloading/installing the Lenovo Service Bridge from the Lenovo website. There I found the latest Intel display adapter driver. To access the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel I right-click on my Desktop, click Graphics Properties which opens the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel. From there I click Display then Color Settings. Brightness, contrast and gamma slide bars are there in Color Settings at least on my T450.

7. Harry.Houdini

Harry.Houdini Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone,
    I saw this thread and signed up so I can let you know that I was able to replace the lcd panel and still retain the ability to use the brightness buttons.

Looking at the questions raised in this post:
    1. Is your screen matte or glossy?
      • Matte
    2. Can you control the screen's brightness?
      • Yes
    3. ...the edp cable would have to be replaced...
      • No need, the panel I bought meant that it was a straight swap
    4. would replacing this display blow any fuses in the laptop
      • Not required as [3] did not apply. I made sure the external battery was removed and in the BIOS, disabled the internal battery
    My method was:
    1. BIOS->Config->Power->[ENTER]->Disable Built-in Battery->[ENTER]
    2. Removed external battery, left internal battery as is.
    3. Open lid fully so it is flat against the surface
    4. Starting at bottom right hinge, using a plastic prise tool (a guitar pick would do) I started to remove the facia round the lcd panel. The facia is held on with really sticky double sided tape. I lifted the facia starting from the lower right corner, just next to the hinge as this seemed to have least tape.
    5. Keep the double sided tape on the facia when lifting off.
    6. When the facia is off, the panel is held in place with an plastic surround which itself is held in place by four screws.
    7. Undid 4 screws and with a plastic prise tool, gently prised the plastic surround off which is clipped in.
    8. This will expose the panel.
    9. Placed a cloth over the keyboard and gently flipped the lcd screen onto the towel, ensuring you didn't tug on the LCD cable.
    10. You should see a lever which you can lift up with the plastic pick and then gently pull on the cable to detach from the panel.
    11. Swap over panels and do steps in reverse.
    Gotchas:
    • When you put the plastic surround back in place, start at the bottom. Best way for me was to rotate the laptop so you face the top of the panel with the keyboard away from you. Angle the surround roughly 25 to 30 degrees (lowest point away from you) and place the plastic surround in place at the keyboard side first. There are plastic lugs protruding from this side, which has to go in first. If you don't do this, you won't be able to clip the surround in at this side.
    • Don't put the sticky facia back in place until you have tested the new panel.
    • Also, make sure you flatten the double sided tape, any tape that has gathered will cause the facia to appear raised which looks horrible.
    • I made a hash of removing the facia where I ended up with "creases" in the plastic where it was stressed. I had opted for a prising/lifting approach using my plastic tool. I reckon you'd be better pulling at the facia to lift it from the laptop chassis and if you reach a really sticky section, pull and prise with the plastic tool. Depending on how sticky it is, you may have to employ both methods across most of it.

Purchases
    1. I bought my panel from ebay from a UK seller called "BumbleSale". The item number was: 271905585177. Screen costs 61.18 GBP delivered within UK. The panel is a LG panel LP140WF3 (SP)(D1), P/N: SD10F30922, FRU:04X5916
    2. As I made a hash of my facia, I bought a replacement from AliExpress from a seller called "Andet". The item number was: 32700868741 and it cost 15 USD delivered to UK from China. My order was placed on 29th Jul 2017 and item arrived on 6th Aug 2017. Was also Royal Mail tracked which the seller had provided details of (the tracking number).

huntnyc likes this.
  8. git2k18

git2k18 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Guys,

Just wanted to make this thread alive again because my t450 has broken LCD. I cannot see anything unless it boots up in windows and detects another external monitor. So I guess i just have to remove the internal battery before installing the lcd.

So I am confused as most of the owners was unsuccessful in replacing it with the IPS full HD lcd except for Harry who is from UK.

I just stumble upon an online store that you need to replace the cable in order to support the full HD lcd because the resolution for my t450 is only at 1366x768. Here's the video that I watched regarding the lcd replacement.

So what do you think guys?

Maybe its better to stick with the same LCD.

Lenovo T450 Machine Type Model: 20BV000BUS
    My LCD info:
    FRU 04x0434
    LTN140AT31
    PN: 0C00328

9. Harry.Houdini

Harry.Houdini Newbie

Reputations:
    When I replaced the panel, it was a straight forward swap and I did not need to swap any cabling. The resolution you mention, doesn't look right to me (seems too low). You should be able to check this by going to the lenovo support website https://pcsupport.lenovo.com and enter in your Lenovo serial which you can get from the BIOS or from the Lenovo Solution Center application that should already be installed. Once you enter this information correctly into the site, you will be taken to a screen where you can view detailed information of your notebook. As you can see from the Lenovo website my original panel was 1600x900

[​IMG]

Now that I've figured out how to link pictures to this Forum (don't know ho long the pictures will last), here are a couple more. The following are pictures I took during the lcd panel swap.

[​IMG]

Showing the brightness still works:
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps.

** UPDATE: I stand corrected - the T450 was sold with a 1366x768 resolution.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  10. Harry.Houdini

Harry.Houdini Newbie

Reputations:
    I've taken a punt at parts seraches from the Lenovo site and it looks like both of our models uses the same cable.

Yours

[​IMG]

Mine
    [​IMG]