Replacing Processor for 1520, Before/After Effects

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Mihael Keehl, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArkRaven000

ArkRaven000 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was talking to a few of my friends who are really into computers and programming, they said that I would burn a hole through my computer (or something along the lines of overheating it) My computer will get pretty hot if i don't have a usb powered fan on it, but it seems like the processor upgrade actually fixed that issue for you though, I didn't misread your post did I?

2. Mihael Keehl

Mihael Keehl Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It depends on the make and model of your laptop, what kind of laptop do you have?

3. ArkRaven000

Reputations:
    Model: INSPIRON 1520
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    BIOS Date: 11/05/07
    Service Pack: 3
    RAM: 3.49 GB

4. Mihael Keehl

Reputations:
    Nice, we have the same model and year, now go to your Control Panel and tell me what kind of processor you have at the moment and we'll go from there. I was at the point you are at now and was able to extend my laptop's life as it was dying beforehand.

5. ArkRaven000

Reputations:
  6. Mihael Keehl

Reputations:
    You'll have to update your BIOS and I would heavily recommend getting a Intel C2D T9300 or T9500, both of those processors will make your laptop run at least
    74%-78% faster than what it is right, purely based on clock speed and you'll draw 6 times as much cache regardless of which one you end up choosing. The T9300 you can get brand new and unused for at least $75 on eBay.

But before you do all of that, I would recommend updating your BIOS to the latest available version (A09) so that it will accept your processor. You can get that update here: T9300 that's the place to choose, honestly, the T9500 isn't really worth it as it's only a 100MHz improvement over the T9300 and it's worth well, at least an extra $100 more for something so insignificant. Afterwards, I would look into installing Windows 7 (if you don't have it already) and then upgrading your memory to 6GB (by getting this stick) and using your current 2GB stick in other slot should be sufficient (assuming you already have 4GB, right)?

At that point, you've probably spent about a good $200-$250 on all of those things but your laptop will last another 2 years for sure.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  7. ArkRaven000

Reputations:
    I'll probably get the T9300, my bios is A09, i think i'll leave my ram alone though, just actually upgraded it from 1 gb to 4 gb (it shows as 3.49 gb because it's xp)

8. Mihael Keehl

Reputations:
    Oh okay, because I also have a BIOS A09 but mine was dated of June 2008 and that's why I thought you needed an upgrade.

9. ArkRaven000

Reputations:
    there wasn't an A09 version before the latest that I'm confusing it with right? if it's A09, it is the latest version in other words

10. Mihael Keehl

Reputations:
    I guess? you can give it a shot, let me look at mine again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.