Replacing my old MacBook Air

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Munegu, Sep 12, 2018 at 4:07 AM.

1. Munegu

Munegu Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone, I will replace my MacBook Air from 2011, who did his job almost perfectly since then, and I'm wondering if I should continue with Apple or not.

General Questions

1) What is your budget? about 1500 € (1700$) a bit flexible

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook? France

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Apple
    b. Dislike: Acer
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? office, photo editing, some video editing, watching videos

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? from home to office all days

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) yes, but only some light games

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? 6 hours

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? online is ok

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    my personal computer is Mac but I've used Windows at work since then.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) Matte preferably but not restrictive on that point.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? No

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? 256 Go

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? as soon as possible

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? several years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?

those last questions aren't in my absolute conditions to buy...

Thank you for your help.

2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  3. Munegu

Munegu Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for your answer. I think 15inch is a bit too much for me, I would prefer 13.
    Also, I'm not good with hard ware, is it possible to change the keyboard from qwerty to azerty?

4. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    sadly the 2 inches make a huge impact on performance. 13 inch notebooks are generally really weak, upgrade from your macbook air wouldn't be worth it.

about the keyboard, not sure, I wouldn't know for sure.

5. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Lenovo Ideapad 720s/730s, ASUS UX430, Huawei Matebook X Pro, Dell XPS 13. The new Acer Swift 3 (2018) with the slim bezels is also an option.

6. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Did you even read the OPs form?

The notion that a 13" notebook can't meet the needs of the user is patently absurd.

If you like Macs and OS X then there's no reason to exclude them, but typically Macs are more expensive. I wouldn't buy a notebook with a dual core today unless the budget is really tight. I like the XPS suggestion, but if you want something more professional looking the ThinkPad T480s might be worth a look. Good luck and welcome to NBR.

7. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    He needs a dGPU since he said he would want the notebook for some video editing. Doing video editing with an intel integrated GPU makes huge problems at times, especially when working with certain effects and 3Dmodels.

We had tons of people in the multimedia design course at our university who purchased a 13" macbook and had to spend a lot of time because they simply couldn't preview their project in after effects because of the poor performance of the Intel GPU not being able to handle certain effetcs and don't get me started on 3dmodels, making them render something over and over again because they otherwise couldn't see if their edit was spot on or lacking.

13inch notebooks are generally much weaker than 15 inch notebooks, that was my statement. If you know a 13" notebook with a dGPU and a quadcore that doesn't suffer from extreme thermal issues, then recommend it to OP.

Also there are tons of reasons to exclude macbooks.
    https://www.forbes.com/consent/?toU...ok-pro-butterfly-keyboard-broken-free-repair/

The youtube channel of luis rossman:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl2mFZoRqjw_ELax4Yisf6w

Dust on a probepoint, "killed" the macbook....

basicially showcases all kinds of terrible design choices, flaws, issues and so on. Currently macbooks are really iffy.

8. ZaZ

Reputations:
    Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see where the OP stated they were using After Effects or doing 3D modeling? Sounds more like YouTube videos and the OP said they wanted a smaller notebook.

9. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    He stated he wanted to do video editing, which is after effects, adobe premiere etc. 3D objects can be used in video editing, without using any kind of 3d modelling software. There are preset animated models, which can be used.

10. ZaZ

Reputations:
    No, they said they wanted to do "some video editing", which could mean any number of things and sounds like a small part of the overall package. They're probably not going to run out and spend big bucks on After Effects. They also stated a specific desire for a smaller notebook.