Replacing my old MacBook Air to a new Windows 10 PC Laptop...

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by RicardoTeixeira, May 30, 2018.

1. RicardoTeixeira

RicardoTeixeira Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After 15 years using MacOS only, I am giving up Apple and just bought a PC machine. Now I need to update me regarding the Windows 10 environment and try to make the switch as smooth as possible. So, what do you guys recommend to backup and transfer all my data to the new PC? What software you recommend as essentials on the PC nowadays? What anti-virus I should use?

Any help is very appreciated. Thank you guys!

2. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Microsoft defender included with windows 10 is fine for anti virus etc. I never had an issue with that. As for software, what are you looking to do? If you use iPhone/ipad devices still I would look at getting a dell computer since they have mobile connect, essentially allowing your computer to send and receive texts/call/imessage through your computer just as imessage would do on your macbook. For photo editing Affinity photo from the MS store is an awesome photoshop alternative, Vegas is a great video editing app also available in the store. Office 365 subscription is a no brainer since you get so much for your money there. You get all the office suite, plus 1tb of onedrive storage included. One note, one drive etc are all available on iOS as well making it a great package for all platforms. For music, good ole apple has that pretty well nailed and the light version of iTunes is available in the MS store now too. Making it automatically updating so you don't get all kinds of pop ups etc.

3. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    We could also go the free route and have extremely powerful stuff such as:
    - Instead of Word -> OpenOffice
    - Instead of Vegas -> HitFilm 4 Express

4. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don’t mind paying for good software. I get a lot of value from 365, and affinity and Vegas are two great programs.