Replacing my old MacBook Air to a new Windows 10 PC Laptop...

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by RicardoTeixeira, May 30, 2018.

1. RicardoTeixeira

RicardoTeixeira Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After 15 years using MacOS only, I am giving up Apple and just bought a PC machine. Now I need to update me regarding the Windows 10 environment and try to make the switch as smooth as possible. So, what do you guys recommend to backup and transfer all my data to the new PC? What software you recommend as essentials on the PC nowadays? What anti-virus I should use?

Any help is very appreciated. Thank you guys!

Vasudev likes this.
  2. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Microsoft defender included with windows 10 is fine for anti virus etc. I never had an issue with that. As for software, what are you looking to do? If you use iPhone/ipad devices still I would look at getting a dell computer since they have mobile connect, essentially allowing your computer to send and receive texts/call/imessage through your computer just as imessage would do on your macbook. For photo editing Affinity photo from the MS store is an awesome photoshop alternative, Vegas is a great video editing app also available in the store. Office 365 subscription is a no brainer since you get so much for your money there. You get all the office suite, plus 1tb of onedrive storage included. One note, one drive etc are all available on iOS as well making it a great package for all platforms. For music, good ole apple has that pretty well nailed and the light version of iTunes is available in the MS store now too. Making it automatically updating so you don't get all kinds of pop ups etc.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    We could also go the free route and have extremely powerful stuff such as:
    - Instead of Word -> OpenOffice
    - Instead of Vegas -> HitFilm 4 Express

4. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don’t mind paying for good software. I get a lot of value from 365, and affinity and Vegas are two great programs.

5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You mean LibreOffice right? OO is made by Apache, right?
    As for vegas alternative I'll give it a go.

6. QuimaxW

QuimaxW Newbie

Reputations:
    My "conversion" preference is to copy files over using network or external drive. You can then organize your files into the proper places and such on your new computer.

Programs? Sounds like you're using Office 365, just keep using that, otherwise libreofice works quite nicely as well.

I tend to go from Linux <-> Windows quite a bit. I generally find myself using the same open source apps on both platforms. Firefox and Chrome both sync preferences & bookmarks across devices. Thunderbird with IMAP on both platforms....

Windows 10 has pretty much everything you really need built-in. Defender is good enough for malware protection, Photos is a good viewer & basic photo editor, media player is still there...

7. darkloki

darkloki Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have a 2016 Macbook Pro touchbar (First Edition) I have not really seen any improvements worth upgrading that system so this year I purchased a Razer Blade 15 and I have to say either Razer or the Windows Community have really caught up.

I enjoy using both systems but Windows 10 isn't nearly as bad of an experience but I will state that I will NEVER have confidence in Windows to have the sleep ability like Macbooks do. Yes there are people who state that it's alright and there are systems that can handle it, however after watching this video in 2018 I again have ZERO confidence in a Windows machine's ability to wake up from sleep.

I've had two systems that needed mother board replacements due to not being able to wake up from sleep, and I've had multiple experiences of having to do a hard restart as a wake up from sleep mode. I bring this up because I feel like it's rarely discussed but is definitely one the largest upsides of OSX systems. Yet... I still own the same razer blade (With a 1060, due to heat reasons) but I never put mine under sleep mode because there are chances it will sleep like sleeping beauty... Literally...

Still it's pretty bad ass to have both a Macbook and a Razer Blade as your go to systems.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I never put to sleep using Lid Closed. I put action Do nothing when closing the lid. With NVMe SSD PC boots/shutdowns in mere seconds.

9. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My dell goes to sleep with lid closed and wakes up when I open it. Takes like 3 seconds for my log in screen to appear. EVERY TIME! I have no problems with this feature.

10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    We AW users had a bug that'll make the PC to sleep permanently if lid is closed. Haha...