Replacing CPU Cooling Fan / Heat Sink Assembly

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by moviemarketing, Jun 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moviemarketing

moviemarketing Milk Drinker

Reputations:
    Do I need to buy some kind of toothbrush or something to clean the CPU?

The guide I read just suggested using an old credit card to scrape the old compound off, and then wipe it with lint free cloth. Another guide suggested to use Q-tips soaked in alcohol.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  2. moviemarketing

Reputations:
    Who's ready for some shots? =P

3. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, isopropyl alcohol is toxic. I do have anhydrous ethanol, the kind you can drink, in the lab though, but no picture and it's a whole gallon. It would also clean TIM pretty well.

alexhawker likes this.
  4. IBP-Andy

IBP-Andy Company Representative

Reputations:
    Just make sure you don't put too much, that it comes out on the side.

5. moviemarketing

Reputations:
    Wow, thank you guys so much, can't believe I actually managed to pull this off!

When opening the case and fiddling around, I was trying to be very careful not to damage any components. Felt a bit like the game "Operation" :p

One thing that I wished I had asked about before turning off the laptop was how to remove the small cable connector for the fan power supply. There was resistance in pulling it out, and initially I wasn't sure if I needed to press some tiny button on the connector to release it without damaging the parts. Slowly wiggled it a bit and eventually it came out.

Don't have any temperature monitoring software installed, but I can certainly feel a massive difference in the external temps of the chassis, and most importantly, the laptop now boots promptly. (Previously I avoided turning off the laptop as the CPU Cooling Fan Error prevented it from booting for up to an hour or so.)

I never would have attempted anything like this if it weren't for being inspired by the comments I've read here in NBR over the years about repasting and various modifications.

I imagine if I had taken it to a repair shop, it would have likely cost a few hundred dollars, which I couldn't justify spending on such an old laptop.

tilleroftheearth and RainMan_ like this.
  6. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Happy everything is working out. :D

Connectors can be somewhat delicate it's true and some need to be pulled, others are like latches that have to be flipped (usually ribbon cables). If you ever end up messing with another laptop and you're unsure, you can always take pictures and we'll do what we can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.