Replacing a 4 year old MSI GS70

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Yuroshock, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Yuroshock

Yuroshock Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget? Not too firm but I spent about $2k last time so that seems like a good starting spot

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike: I've had some issues with my current four year old MSI GS70 so I do have some aversions towards going with MSI again unless they've gotten better over the years.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Maybe

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Mostly just gaming and web browsing

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    I take it with me when I travel, and at home I do use it on my lap with a laptop cooler

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Yes, wide variety of games, from basic 2D games like terraria to Path of Exile to modern FPS games to modded out games like Witcher.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Just long enough to move it to another room in the house and plug it back in

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Would be nice but a thorough review would be ok

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    Currently have 1080p and don't know what I'm missing, so I don't know if I care to have higher

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    I always struggle with deciding on this, most of the time glossy is fine and I like the colors, but on the rare occasions I am in a very bright room it sure is annoying, so in the end it probably wont be a big deciding factor.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Build quality is very important and style does gain a lot of points.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    Currently have 128GB SSD and 1TB HDD and I'm running out of space so it needs more than that or at least that with room for expansion.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    My current four year old MSI GS70 Stealth Pro is at a point of no return so I'm forced to buy a new laptop asap.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    Hopefully at least 4 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    I've been without a working laptop for 2 days now and I'm bored out of my mind.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    The only time I've had stuff go bad on me was always passed the warranty period ended so probably not.

Issues with current MSI GS70:
    -1 of the monitor hinges broke so I have to be very careful opening and closing it
    -Ethernet port is very loose so any bump can cause a short internet interruption
    -MSI doesn't keep drivers up to date on their website
    -I can not get the software that controls the keyboard back light to work at all anymore
    -The paint/coating wore off pretty quickly where my wrist rests
    -Currently experiencing some kind of issue that wont even let me reinstall windows, maybe just a HDD issue, but safe mode runs without a problem so I don't know

2. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    1. i believe hinge issue is there, or possibly fixed
    2. a laptop used constantly over 4 years, any port would go loose, this is not a MSI problem but applies to all electronics
    3. no laptop companies would keep it's laptop driver up to date for 4yrs, MSI not an exception unless some major security flaw/issue.
    4. maybe the control board PCB died or malfunctioned?
    5. yep laptop with paint/plastic does that, especially laptop over several years old.
    6. you'll have to describe more what happens when you try to reinstall windows, but since you are getting a new laptop you probably don't really need ot know or need to care.

3. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Regardless, OP wants a new laptop.
    I'd recommend something with say a 256GB M.2 and a 2.5 HDD bay, say something like a GE series from MSI, they've gotten significantly better than they where pre 2014

4. Yuroshock

Reputations:
    Why the GE series over GS?

5. Grant B Gibson

Reputations:
    Don't think the GS has a 2.5 bay

6. Yuroshock

Reputations:
    I don't necessarily care about a 2.5", just as long as I can get more total storage

7. Grant B Gibson

Reputations:
    In that case, the GS series has inferior cooling to the GS, causing lower performance