Replacement XPS 9560 Offered. Do I Want It?

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by insidemanpoker, Mar 4, 2019.

1. GoNz0

GoNz0 Laptop Engineer & Online games hosting.

Reputations:
    The BIOS has a secure erase feature, no coming back from that. Send it back wiped, they don't care. TBH I doubt they would notice if it had no drive in it as I have sent a couple back with no power supply.

2. insidemanpoker

insidemanpoker Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They finally got back to be with the specs that I will paste below. Is this a no brainer to accept? I will also post the specs of the original machine under the proposed new specs.

Is the warranty affected at all by having a replacement or it just continues on as if it was the original laptop?

Is there any reason to keep my hard drive or question any of the specific components? The representative I am working with seems great and helpful and said if there are any details I would want to request changed, to let him now before they begin the build. Any advice would be very welcome!

Proposed replacement (removing some of the duplicates from old to new build):

XPS 15 (9570)
    1 8th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H (9MB Cache, up to 4.1 GHz, 6 cores)
    1 15.6" 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) InfinityEdge Anti-Reflective Touch IPS100% AdobeRGB 400-
    Nits display
    1 Palmrest for 81 key (Finger Print)
    1 XPS 15 Cover.
    1 Silver Color
    1 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 at 2666MHz
    1 1TB M.2 2280 PCIe Solid State Drive
    1 NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1050Ti with 4GB GDDR5
    1 Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth
    Programs
    1 No Out-of-Band Systems Management, ME Disable
    1 Additional Software Win 10
    Service
    1 1Yr Premium Support with Onsite Service
    1 Standard Service - 1 year Collect Return hardware support included with your PC
    1 No Accidental Damage Protection
    1 Keep Your Hard Drive Service - Not Selected

Original Laptop:
    210-AKIF: XPS 15 9560
    338-BLDO: 7th Generation Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor (6M cache, up to 3.8GHz)
    340-BKPN: XPS 15 Placemat
    370-ACSE: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 at 2400MHz
    391-BDCQ: 15.6 "4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) InfinityEdge touch display
    400-APWJ: 1TB PCIe Solid State Drive (Samsung)
    490-BDMW: NVIDIA (R) GeForce (R) GTX 1050 with 4GB GDDR5 graphics memory
    555-BDHS: Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1
    580-AFN: MOD, KYBD, 80, US, ENG, M15NSC-BU
    631-ABHM: Systems Management SW
    658-BDLK: Killer 1535 Wireless Driver

3. GoNz0

Reputations:
    Do you really have to ask if you should accept this?
    And the old warranty will get transferred.

Told you it would be the new version

What was the fault with the original?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

4. insidemanpoker

Reputations:
    Thanks as always for the reply. I assume you don't think it necessary to request any alterations to the proposed build as you were clearly right. Because the rep did say he would be open to making any specific alteration requests, I figured I might as well ask, but in general it seems like a clear 'yes!'.

If you think the SSD would also be any kind of upgrade, I could just take the extra time it takes to restore all my work onto the new computer even if it's a bit cumbersome for me. I would then google for a walk through of the BIOS secure erase feature which I was happy to hear you suggest and trust.

They had already replaced one motherboard with a part that had it's own issues. My guess is they were going to need to replace that again but I'm not exactly sure. I would think a motherboard alone wouldn't be cause for replacement. Maybe somehow it doesn't cost them that much do to this because from my end it seems pretty surprising. I definitely wasn't pushing for a replacement or anything as is clear from me starting a thread wondering if I want to even bother.

5. GoNz0

Reputations:
    Repeated issues can trigger a replacement, more so if they had no reclaimed boards in the country (refurbished is crap, they harvest from broken laptops and often don't test)
    Chance is they showed no stock so they have to replace it. I Would take it, everything will be faster including the NVMe drive. If not swap it before you return yours.

Nothing beats a format and reinstall to speed things up.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2019
  6. insidemanpoker

Reputations:
    Thanks. Any chance you have an updated link to how to most easily format and reinstall in a new XPS 9570?

After that, do you just manually install driver updates from their site or go through some automated process?

Is the BIOS secure erase function easy to use?

7. GoNz0

Reputations:
    Windows 10 really doesn't need a guide to install it any more, it has the drivers to get you online and windows update does the rest.
    Secure erase is very simple, just follow the prompts.
    Return it with a blank drive as you have no need or obligation to put Windows back on.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

8. insidemanpoker

Reputations:
    Thanks.

Windows update actually can do the Dell specific updates like Bios updates?

I'm not good at this and only done it once before. Where do you initiate the install from? I realize you are saying a walk through isn't needed, but I just don't know where to start.

I'm guessing I can easily google how to do the secure erase. So once it's done, the computer is basically bricked for my purposes?

9. GoNz0

Reputations:
    I think it is in the security section of the BIOS, WU doesn't do BIOS you get that from the Dell download page, BIOS isn't anything to do with the OS.

And the laptops a doorstop once you secure erase until you reinstall the operating system.

10. insidemanpoker

Reputations:
    Thank you again. What updates do you recommend from the Dell download page? All of the ones marked urgent? Just Bios? Or all hardware updates on their page?

From where do you initiate the Windows clean install? Also in the BIOS? Or I just download it from Microsoft's homepage onto a USB?

Do I need to load a specific wifi driver as well?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019