Replacement IPS FHD 1920x1080 display (T530)

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by kazakore, Aug 31, 2017.

1. kazakore

kazakore Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm planning on probably buying a refurbished Thinkpad T530 but it appears it will most likely come with the smallest display option (1366x768) and they wont guarantee the 1600x900 or retrofit the IPS display themselves. I'm a competent engineer so although on a new (to me) system I would be happy to pay that little extra to have somebody else do it and have it arrive to me in the exact configuration I want but I know I am more than capable of fitting one myself if need me. But that leads me to the question:

Do all 15.6" FHD IPS screens fit or are there extra search terms I should use when trying to locate one on Ebay UK?

Thanks in advance.

2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It's fairly unusual for a screen from one notebook to work in another, though there are exceptions. I don't recall anyone doing it with the T530, but you might want to ask over on ThinkPads.com where you're likely to get a detailed answer.

3. kazakore

Reputations:
    Thought I'd remembered reading people saying they had fitted Dell IPS screens but could be mistaken. I hoped somebody here would know for certain. I try and do some scouring of the 'net and see what I can find out then....

4. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Once you know the current panel's part nr. then it's possible to look for alternatives.

A 768p usually means it's running a cheaper, limited-bandwidth cable (single channel LVDS) and for 1080p dual-channel is required. If it turns out to have a 900p then you're good to keep the existing cable and swap in a 1080p. Mind that there's some potential differences to account for, that's why it's better to know the exact panel before ordering any random 1080p. Dell doesn't make panels, btw; they order batches with minor customisations from the manufacturers (such as AUO, LG, Chi-Mei and Samsung).

5. kazakore

Reputations:
    Thanks for the hints and link. I know the displays weren't made by Dell but it seemed to be what many of them were advertised for as I believe both companies introduced the IPS screen at about the same time.