Replacement for Lenovo X1 Carbon (4th gen) work/home laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by redpencilgirl, Oct 12, 2021.

1. redpencilgirl

redpencilgirl Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi, everyone!

Oh, how I've loved my Lenovo X1 Carbon, which I got more than five years ago thanks to recommendations on here. I'm not desperate for its replacement, but I'm getting to the point where I think I'd better start doing my research.

While I spend a lot of time on the laptop -- it's my only computer, and I use it for work and for personal -- I wouldn't consider myself any kind of computer expert. A lot of the discussions on here go way over my head. So I definitely want something I can use pretty much right out of the box...I won't be doing much, if any, customizing.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    Less than $1500 USD, ideally (and ideally much less than that!), but since it's largely for work, I can deduct some of it, so I can be flexible.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    I love the 14" size, and would consider going smaller only for something with a similar screen size (less wasted space). I could go up to a 15", I think, depending on weight..

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Open to all PC brands

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Editing and writing (Word and Adobe)
    Internet

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Unlikely

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    If I could make it through a cross-country flight without charging, that would be awesome. But three or four hours would also be nice.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Buying online is OK.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    Windows (probably 10 + 11-compatible at this point, yes?)

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer?
    High

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? Matte

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Not really

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    500GB

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Within the next few months

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    Let's go for another five years!

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    No more than a week -- and a week would be difficult

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    I would pay for on-site warranty

Thank you, as always, for your help!

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    For the next 72 hours, Best Buy has some nice discounts available. This Lenovo Yoga 6 has great specs for $800: Link.

At the higher end of your budget, there this Samsung Galaxy Book Pro for $1,250, which has an OLED screen.

3. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't see anything about needing a high power system here which makes finding a longer battery life a bit easier.

W11 requires a 8th gen or newer CPU to upgrade.

I prefer matte screens as well due to the glossy ones being a distraction from reflections.

Sager / Clevo brands offer bang for the buck though if you're willing to hunt them down on sites like ebay. I picked up a 9th gen for $740 and then stuffed it with upgrades for RAM/NVME x 2 / WIFI card for another couple of hundred bucks to match higher end spec machines for less than the dealers would charge. If you're hanging around here you should be capable of doing these minor upgrades or be able to get some help if needed.

Since you're writing / doc editing it's a good idea to probably get a 1080 screen for ease on the eyes for longer durations of viewing. As to the battery I have a hack for that and it's USB / DC cable that can be used with a wall charger / car charger / power bank to keep things topped off when not sitting at home. Since the power draw for battery charging on my model is ~14W and full operating power is ~40W tt's easy to keep charged while plugged into those USB options. The full system power though with gaming is closer to 120W though which poses an issue with the chargers since USB-PD is limited to 100W.

I know you said working out of the box but, your inner deal hunter might be willing to do a couple of easy upgrades for a better investment.

4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I don't understand your fascination with trying to cram everyone who posts in this sub-forum into the same box. The OP wants a highly portable machine for document writing (so needs a good keyboard) and is not playing games. Yet you recommend a gaming laptop that has comes with an, at best, below average keyboard.

5. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    @saturnotaku

Why do you constantly whine about an alternate opinion? Everyone has a different approach to making recommendations based on their own personal experience. I don't critique all of your suggestions based on x/y/z. All devices do the same thing no matter the brand name and price. Suggesting big box retail options 100% of the time that are often inferior quality and lack options that may be desired later on. Just because someone posts a few specific items in their OP sometimes things come to mind later in regards to the specs and functions that might appeal to something different than originally asked for. Most people have never heard of Clevo and they're remarketed resellers but, the product is just as good as any well known OEM and in some cases more adaptable to someone's needs. If you want less hassle later on when deciding to upgrade there are less hoops to jump through for compatibility / whitelisting.

6. redpencilgirl

Reputations:
    No arguments in my thread, please!

While I am open to lesser-known manufacturers, I meant it when I said I'm not planning to do upgrades. My work-life balance beats out my inner deal hunter in that department! I need to be able to work quickly and efficiently on my laptop pretty much from the get-go, and I do prioritize long battery life over battery hacks (though I'll keep the car-charger idea in mind for my current laptop!).

Thanks.

Tech Junky likes this.
  7. Tech Junky

Reputations:
    Paying up for what you want out of the box then seems to be the way to go here.

There are prebuilt systems / upgrades you can get and the fastest delivery would be RJtech - https://rjtech.com/shop/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=249

With the supply chain issues right now ordering direct from Sager (US) leads to a delay in getting things after purchase so, it's just a matter of figuring out which CPU/GPU and panel refresh speed you want and go from there. I've had the better known brands in the past and this one is just as good. Battery's though in general are a game to get the most time out of them while unplugged. It's a matter of balancing performance with duration but, if you're mostly doing docs it shouldn't require much draining setting to be used.

The USB option is a nice thing to have on hand if you're traveling and don't want to be burdened with a spare battery or the brick. I went with the $10 cable and a graphene charger @ 100W ($35) as it's lightweight and cheaper than an OEM travel / spare charger. For the car I picked up a power adapter for $20 that can keep either the laptop or power bank charged at a faster rate. Plenty of options to keep things running even on a long haul flight. The PB I went with looks like this one but is made by PowerAdd.

redpencilgirl likes this.
  8. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The longer you wait, the better bang for your buck you'll get. It seems like your needs are modest. If you're fond of your X1 Carbon, why not the new one? I'd add the HP Spectre 14 or Acer Swift 3 to your list if you want to go budget. The Dell XPS 15, beautiful screen, is a 15" notebook in a 14" chassis. If you just want low weight, the 17" LG Gram is less than 3 pounds.

redpencilgirl and Rokobo like this.
  9. redpencilgirl

Reputations:
    Thanks for the suggestions!

10. jwolf7722

jwolf7722 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thinkpad X1 Carbon, X1 Yoga, P1, X1 Extreme. They are all good machines and can be steals from Lenovo outlet if your patient.

redpencilgirl likes this.