Replace extra GPU with HDD caddy on Y510p?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by m0ngr31, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m0ngr31

m0ngr31 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm in the need for more hard drive space than I have right now, so I'm wanting to take out the extra GPU in my Y510p and put in a hard drive caddy. The problem is that there is a little bracket that I need to remove from the DVD drive and put on the caddy, but since I never got the DVD drive model, I can't do that. Is there any place where I can buy the little bracket I need?

2. fernando.maciel

fernando.maciel Newbie

Reputations:
    I was looking for the same thing yesterday. If you want to replace the 2nd GPU with the hard drive caddy, I think that the bracket is not completely necessary, since it won't fall off easily. The problem (at leats for me) is the plastic bezel that covers the GPU won't fit on the hard drive caddy, so it would be uncovered (and ugly)...
    But I found one seller on ebay that sells the caddy with this plastic bezel. Look for y510p caddy bezel and you probably will find - the seller nickname is nimitz and they told me that they can sell the bezel separatedelly for 8 bucks.
    Sorry for my terrible english... I'm from Brazil.

Regards,

3. m0ngr31

m0ngr31 Newbie

Reputations:
    Don't worry about your English, it's great! If you don't think we need the bracket, maybe I'll just order a caddy and see what happens!

4. Incontro

Incontro Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  5. berrykerry789

berrykerry789 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  6. m0ngr31

m0ngr31 Newbie

Reputations:
    So is there nowhere I can buy the bracket? I can't even find a DVD drive someone has pulled out of one of these to get the bracket off of that...

7. berrykerry789

Reputations:
    You could try contacting lenovo and asking if they have any spare parts.

8. greatwiseone

greatwiseone Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Which bracket are you referring to? I bought this one: 2nd HDD SSD Hard Drive Caddy for Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 Y500N Y510P Bezel | eBay

I didn't add any parts to the caddy. I put a 2TB 2.5" hard drive into the caddy and the caddy comes with screws to keep the drive in place. I plug it straight into the ultrabay and it works fine. No need for the additional side brackets (like the ones they have for the Lenovo made hard drive ultrabay's). I have the DVD drive, but don't see the need to add the side brackets.

9. berrykerry789

Reputations:
    Scroll down to the description.

10. greatwiseone

greatwiseone Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I appreciate what the seller is saying (it wasn't there before when I bought the ultrabay from the same seller). I didn't add the bracket and the hdd ultrabay locks in fine...I have zero issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.