Repasting with CooLaboratory Liquid Ultra, any tips before I start?

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by [Nikos], Jan 3, 2014.

1. Papusan

Papusan BGA Filthy = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Use what you have. Both provide exactly the same performance. But if you want to buy more... Buy the cheapest one:) Both liquid metal labels are already tested and they gave the same performance.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. iunlock

iunlock 7820HK @ 4.7GHz

Reputations:
    That pretty much sums it up. Very simple and straight to the point.

I don't get why one would bother saving a few dollars, just to save a few dollars on something of a lower grade paste? Just doesn't make sense.

Just go "big/right," in this instance or don't waste your money at all LOL...

TBoneSan and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. iunlock

iunlock 7820HK @ 4.7GHz

Reputations:
    Great thread. I've just finished combing through this threads page by page.

CLLU for both CPU and GPU or...

I will be repasting my second 17R3 and plan to either use CLLU on both the CPU and GPU w/ 3M Professional Grade Electrical tape rated at 105C, OR I'm debating if I should use Grizzly Kryonaut on the GPU and CLLU on the CPU.

Either way the CPU will only see CLLU from now on until something else comes along that can beat it.

From what I've seen from what others have reported, the heat sink plate may not be evenly flush with the GPU, therefore, this is making me lean toward using a thicker paste like Grizzly Krynoaut and/or GELid Extreme for the GPU to compensate for the possible unevenness.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pressure paper handy, otherwise I'd check it in a heart beat. I might just go for it, while giving it the benefit of the doubt and just go CLLU for both CPU and GPU...hmmm...

*** Update on my other 17R3 that was repasted using Grizzly Kryonaut. ***

Grizzly Kryonaut was excellent when I had first repasted. The temps held strong and I had thought, "wow...finally a past- paste that can hang with CLLU/P..." However, after a few months, I've noticed that both the CPU and GPU temps started to rise into mediocre territory as if I had used a crappy paste like Arctic Silver etc...The temps were still good, but just ok.

Under load while gaming...

Stock Paste: CPU would dance around 80-85C
    Stock Paste: GPU would dance around 68-71C

Repaste with Grizzly K: CPU was around 60-64C
    Repaste with Grizzly K: GPU was around 59-61C

2 Months later with Grizzly K: CPU was 68-75C
    2 Months later with Grizzly K: GPU was 65-67C

I am beginning to question the integrity of the Grizzly Kryonaut paste...after all it was designed for extreme OC'ing so maybe it was never intended to be a long term paste, rather a paste designed with a high frequency of change in mind? I have GELid Extreme in my desktop rigs along with my buddies 15R2 and it's been rock solid without any increase in temps so this is why I'm beginning to think that Grizzly.K was purposely designed with the sole purpose of Extreme OC'ing + Frequent 'oil' changes in mind, hence the rapid deterioration of the paste?

4. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just be aware, any conventional paste will wear out. Use Liquid Ultra or Liquid MetalPad for a permanent solution.

iunlock likes this.
  5. woodzstack

woodzstack Company Representative

Reputations:
    i.e do NOT re-lid CPU's with this underneath it. UNLESS you lap both sides and find out the cpu lid was a copper one with aluminium coating only.

6. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    Actually that is incorrect. CLLU lasts the same perhaps even less time then conventional paste before having to be reapplied.
    The benefit of CLLU is in no way the longevity but more so the thermal conductivity.

7. Papusan

Reputations:
    Liquid ultra applied on the 4930Mx in my Aw17 "Elitist" is now over 2 years old. Same very good temp.

hmscott likes this.
  8. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    I would agree with Fox this isn't a fix since you are just disabling some hardware interfaces by uninstalling the driver...
    Did you do a clean install of windows or did the pc come with W10? Sounds like either a driver is borked (i.e. dricer cleaning is needed)or the hardware is faulty. Both systems I have have the same board and do not do this at all.

Under what conditions is the system throttling? What should I do in attempts to recreate this?
    I have a rig I now use as a media center that has had AS5 for 4 years maybe and the temp are the same.
    I was simply pointing out that just because it's metal doesn't mean it lasts forever. It seems there is an impression to some people that this compound is like molten metal in a tube lol.

Your example is defo good to know though. :)

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

9. Papusan

Reputations:
    I don't think no one have a paste 4 years in a laptop with max OC'd hardware, Ha Ha

10. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Well ... it is, ain't it? Its main components are gallium, indium and tin, all of which are metals. Technically-technically speaking it's really a 'molten alloy' or even 'alloy, liquid at room temperature', but what the hey ...

And, apart from exposing it to excessive cold, it's actually pretty much a permanent solution. Never had to repaste after applying this stuff, not even after repeated heatsink removal. You can just wipe up the little drops that fell besides the die or trailed 'off' the die-area of the heatsink by deploying a plastic food bag as a glove; deposit the drops back to the center of both die and heatsink and it's ready for business again. No need to wipe clean ye olde dried paste or searching for that damned syringe again. Not going back to that sort of stuff, especially with having a life-time supply now :vbtongue: .

Only drawback is that it's a horrendous pain to get rid of the spills. Even the tiniest of specks spreads out over and into any surface, a single drop could probably coat an entire dinner table (ahem). Ok, ok ... there's the fineprint of 'conductive' and 'eats aluminium', too :vbbiggrin: .