Repasting with CooLaboratory Liquid Ultra, any tips before I start?

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by [Nikos], Jan 3, 2014.

1. Papusan

Papusan BGA Filthy = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    There are only 3 conventional paste outside liquid metal, which is useable. ICD, Grizzly Kryonaut and Gelid Extreme. Everything else is a waste of time and money. A little late to wipe your snotty nose when the nose is empty.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    Mr. Fox, A-leo and hmscott like this.
  2. A-leo

A-leo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    i am noting that
    thanks
    i really want liquid metal so bad :( but i dont want to brick my machine :(

3. Papusan

Papusan BGA Filthy = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    If you are afraid that liquid ultra being squeezed out if you have on a little too much(Newbie/afraid). Use Liquid Electrical Tape or regular eletrical tape around cpu/gpu die http://www.sotabeams.co.uk/liquid-electrical-tape/ Or let a tech help ypu.

4. A-leo

A-leo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    hey man thank you for pointing out that stuff sorry for late response i have to deal with some unresolved nasty bsod kernel security check failure

Papusan likes this.
  5. CaerCadarn

CaerCadarn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It isn't as "dangerous" , really! If you haven't some electrical tape left simply use varnish.
    Applying metal based TIM's with a tiny brush is fairly easy. Tiny little strokes works best and the results are outstanding! I will never ever use nothing else again. Only point you have to take care of as already stated by @Mr. Fox is that heatsink and die have to make proper contact. Otherwise its useless.

There are plenty of videos on UTube around. Just take a look on it! ;)

Gesendet von meinem LG-H955 mit Tapatalk

Mr. Fox, A-leo and Papusan like this.
  6. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    There we go:

[​IMG]

Average Tmax of all cores over 3 runs and 100% fan:
    • CLU: ········· 79°C
    • Galinstan: ·· 79°C
    Well ... can't say that's surprising, considering the look and feel are identical. Safe to say 'CLU = Galinstan', except repackaged for a healthy, 70% profit margin.

Scerate, Ashtrix, Kade Storm and 3 others like this.
  7. bennni

bennni Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Don't use too much and make sure you work the TIM with the little brush, so it 'grips' the heatsink/CPU die. If you don't do this, it's possible for the TIM to roll out like a water drop but otherwise it just stays where it is. Getting it to 'bite' onto the surface is the only tricky part and once on there it stays put. Remove the CPU and heatsink if you can and apply CLU outside of the system, then carefully put them back in place once done - or mask the surrounding area off with tape and apply in situ, as Papusan suggested. I've applied it to systems that are treated very poorly and I have yet to see it move at all - I actually challenge anyone to treat their system worse than my wife treats her Lenovo, which has had CLU applied for not far off of two years and has had no trouble with the TIM moving. That system is a wreck with a fully broken hinge, bits of casing cracked and dents all over it but the TIM hasn't moved. TBH, I'd be quite happy if it did short out the MOBO, so I can replace it with something that isn't held together with epoxy and prayers.

hmscott and Papusan like this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Nice! Thank you for sharing the results. I agree... seems pretty obvious they are the same. Thermal performance looks fantastic, as expected.

9. King of Interns

King of Interns Simply a laptop enthusiast

Reputations:
    CLU was super easy to apply. Big difference for my 980M. No pump out nothing.

Didnt even bother with electrical tape around die of 920xm cpu. Then again that chip is so high leakage that even CLU doesnt help much under load lol.

I agree with previos comments MX 4 is complete trash and disgusting to clean up!

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

hmscott and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. Kana Chan

Kana Chan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    for delidding, which one is best?
    Inside / Outside
    CLU/CLU or Conductonaut/Conductonaut or CLU/Conductonaut or Conductonaut/CLU?