Repasting with CooLaboratory Liquid Ultra, any tips before I start?

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by [Nikos], Jan 3, 2014.

1. A-leo

A-leo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    thanks mr fox
    i will try to contact my local shop if they are able to put collaboratory ultra (seems the best choice)
    i am afraid to brick my machine because of my zero experience in laptop

2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I have to buy Liquid Ultra so I have to my new Kunshan P870 Killer Edition. Used a Norwegian supplier earlier. Are there other Web sites that are located in Northern Europe with plenty of cooling equipment? Also thought to try flat heatpipes in this laptop... Any recommendations on such online stores?
    If you ignore the price ... Any advantage / disadvantage with the various liquid metal? Is pleased with Clu. But have seen tests earlier that showed Phobya Liquid Metal a small notch sharper. It may be within the margin but still interesting choice for me... Any differences in the syringe, which is used by different brand?

3. A-leo

A-leo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    my nearest local shop doesnt have balls to put liquad ultra or any thermal conductive paste, they offered me standard like ic diamond. i already explained the terms and condition about my laptop using stock paste and my plan to uber it to 3.9 ghz or even 4 ghz and run it stable on linx 30 runs at acceptable temps (90 celcius). guess need to find another one.

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Delid the CPU and put Liquid Ultra on the die and on top of IHS and on heat sink and it will be good. The GTX 980 (200W) has an excellent heat sink. No need to add more heat pipes. It does fantastic with no need for cooling mods on the GPU. It already has 6 heat pipes, 2 radiators and 2 fans for one GPU. SWEET!
    [​IMG]

hmscott likes this.
  5. Papusan

Reputations:
    Yeah. Dual cooling for one graphics is excellent. I don't like shared pipes between cpu/gpu as some models use.How much from the Clu syringe will be needed for die, heatsink and on top of IHS? I still have 3/4 of the syringe, but the Clu is nearly 2 years now. It's old. HaHa. And I want to have a spare if something happens later.

hmscott likes this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I'm not sure if 75% of a syringe will be enough, as the desktop CPU IHS is so large it takes a LOT more paste. Are you going to delid the CPU? I would use the CLU on the die itself, see how much is left to work with. You should have some extra available anyway, so definitely order some extra. There is probably enough for the CPU die and GPU with 75% of a syringe left, but maybe not enough for the IHS and mating surface of the CPU heat sink.

hmscott likes this.
  7. Papusan

Reputations:
    Of course shall I delid. Such monster need it. The best would be a bare die. Maybe later if this is possible. I don't remember what I paid for Liquid ultra in Norway but it's worth it. I will search up where I bought it last time.
    Maybe I can find a nice web shop with a lot of cooling in Germany. I don't want to use Ebay/Amazon. Better with web shops. Sometimes you also get new ideas when you look inside such sites. Always something you want/need.

hmscott likes this.
  8. A-leo

A-leo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    my laptop is using arctix mx4 and i am very dissapointed with the result running at stock and i dont even dare to try lnix :(
    even stock paste perform better than this

Attached Files:

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I've never had good results from Arctic Cooling MX-4 or Tuniq TX-3 or TX-4. They are among the worst I have ever tried to use. They suffer from "pump-out" and only lasted me a day or two before they were no longer effective trying to cool an overclocked CPU.

A-leo, Papusan and Zero989 like this.
  10. A-leo

A-leo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    i am just wasting 40 bucks and the worst is 2.5 hours worth of my time in order to get such result :(

oh well lesson learned

hmscott likes this.