Repasting with CooLaboratory Liquid Ultra, any tips before I start?

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by [Nikos], Jan 3, 2014.

1. [Nikos]

[Nikos] Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Roger that! haha Not even think in touch A12 or above hahaha :

Now back on topic:
    New drivers 332.21
    3DMark Vantage:
    3920XM @ 4.5
    GTX680M SLI - svl7 vbios (not OV) - 980/2450 Mhz
    3dmarkvantage-4.5-232-650.JPG
    3dmarkvantage-4.5-232-650-CPU-TEMPS.JPG
    3dmarkvantage-4.5-232-650-GPU-TEMPS.JPG

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    CPU temps @ 4.5GHz look real good [Nikos]. Nice work. +1

3. dandan112988

dandan112988 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How much improvement degrees do you see vs ic diamond ?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

4. [Nikos]

[Nikos] Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Mr.Fox could tell you more about that I didn't use IC yet ;)

5. UltraGSM

UltraGSM ...so many Alienwares...

Reputations:
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. UltraGSM

Reputations:
    was also thinking, if I got spare CPU heatsink, lapped it to mirror shine with diamond polishing paste as final finish touch (6000+ grit etc) would this give me any extra gain whlist using this liquid ultra compound... I wonder.... worth spending extra $ on spare HS and the hassle? What would you think?

Also, since that's pure metal compound I will not be just slapping that compound there and expect "nothing bad can happen", I was thinking to apply some RTV silicone (thin track of it) just around the CPU pcb close to the edges of it but not on the edges, so when I seat the CPU heatsink with new compound on to the CPU, the RTV silicone would create protective border sealing the compound in event it could possibly get loose or chip away in the longer run, precaution against metal particles getting loose and falling within the system causing disaster within the system, so called as a mystery failure's and BSOD's etc

what do you's say? better safe than sorry? Watched the removal of this compound youtube video looks like aluminium sort of like dust which believe it or not are very "crispy" when dry and tend to breakaway in event of impact or vibrations etc, especially after bonding compound dries out and just the metal compound remains (after curing)

Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Well, here are some tests we can use as a baseline for comparisons. I ordered a tube of Noctua NT-H1 Thermal Compound and a tube of Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra for testing. I will replicate the same tests using identical overclock settings with the other pastes to see how they work on a fresh repaste compared to an application of IC Diamond that has already been subjected to 30 days of use, included some pretty severe overclocking.

Control System Conditions
    Thermal PasteIC Diamond - applied on December 8, 2013 (30 days of overclocking) - see extreme benchmarks run on this fresh ICD paste LINK.
    Tested CPU / Clock Speed3920XM / 4.3GHz (43x4) - Note: this is my normal everyday clock speed for this CPU, running with c-states disabled 24/7
    Flex VID / XTU Add'l Turbo Voltage10 / 19.53125mV (Flex bumped to 10 for 3DMark11 and Vantage for improved stability)
    Pri Plane / XTU Core Current Limit896 / 112.000A
    ThrottleStop SettingsTRL: 43, 43, 43, 43 - Flex 10; TPL: Long: 200, Short: 200, Turbo Time Limit: 0.0010s, Package Current Limit: 112
    If anyone else, including [Nikos], would like to jump in and use these same settings and replicate the tests, it would be awesome to see how consistent the results are. We may see different temps, but from the results we might be able to calculate a reasonably accurate percentage of change. Even if we can't be reasonably accurate with calculations, we might be able to get an accurate pulse on which paste is the consistent winner among multiple systems running at the same or similar overclock speeds.

Be sure to run the tests before repasting, just as I am doing today. To keep it interesting, I ran some tests in both Windows 7 and Windows 8.
    [parsehtml] [hr][/hr]</HR> [/parsehtml]Current Control Performance: IC Diamond - 30 days of heavy use
    [parsehtml]<iframe class='imgur-album' width='100%' height='750' frameborder='0' src="http://imgur.com/a/YmXeo/embed"></iframe>[/parsehtml][parsehtml][hr][/hr]</HR>[/parsehtml]Fresh Noctua NT-H1 Thermal Compound
    [parsehtml]<iframe class='imgur-album' width='100%' height='750' frameborder='0' src="http://imgur.com/a/0D8ly/embed"></iframe>[/parsehtml]First Impressions: Noctua NT-H1 is easy to apply. It has a creamier texture than IC Diamond. While initial results are impressive, I have reservations about whether it will be durable based on its viscosity.
    Final Verdict on NT-H1: FAIL - IC Diamond is a better (more durable) product... see screen shots for results after only 4 days. See last screen shot of Darksiders II in-game temps on day 5. Removal in preparation for Liquid Ultra was extremely easy. "Pump-out" effect was obvious when heat sink was removed from CPU.
    [parsehtml] [hr][/hr]</HR> [/parsehtml]Fresh Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra
    [parsehtml]<iframe class='imgur-album' width='100%' height='750' frameborder='0' src="http://imgur.com/a/8wOSO/embed"></iframe>[/parsehtml]First Impressions: Application was much easier that expected. I "painted" a thin layer to both surfaces (CPU die and heat sink) after a thorough cleaning with alcohol. I was amazed at how little TIM was required. About the equivalent of 1/3 to 1/2 grain of rice was enough for both surfaces. Initial results are as impressive as what we have seen with ht_addict and [Nikos]. I look forward to seeing how long it will last.

Edit: 02/26/2014 - 6 weeks into overclocking hell and the Liquid Ultra show no evidence of degradation. Truly amazing... I am moving IC Diamond to second place on my list of best thermal pastes money can buy.
    [parsehtml] [hr][/hr]</HR> [/parsehtml]Liquid Ultra Application
    [parsehtml]<iframe class='imgur-album' width='100%' height='750' frameborder='0' src="http://imgur.com/a/JUQvK/embed"></iframe>[/parsehtml]

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
    BackBOn, judal57, yegg55 and 7 others like this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Do it... would be nice to find out if lapping helps.

I have a spare 3-pipe and when I get done testing the results with the other two pastes against the 30-day old ICD I may lap that one and see if it changes the results. I'm going to do it in order with Liquid Ultra last, so if the results are really great I might just leave it alone to see how long it holds up. Will be interesting to see at the 30-day mark how it is holding up. I'm eager to bench the crap out of that stuff at 4.6-4.8GHz to see the results.

UltraGSM and TBoneSan like this.
  9. UltraGSM

Reputations:
    pchub is out of stock with 3pipe hs for the moment and there gone up in price too, but keeping hot-link handy to check frequently when it gets available I will snatch one right away... (shouldn't have sold my spare 3pipe back in a recent day, would have had great use out of it now...well...)

for now will be waiting for delivery on the goodie. Maybe that keeps me running daily @ constant 4.5-4.x-x.x GHz :D just for fun (if thermal conditions allow, will see, will see)

10. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    I'm very keen to see the results. I'm starting to wish a didn't reorder IC7 the other day.

Mr. Fox likes this.