Removing Recovery Partition

Discussion in 'Alienware M11x' started by MegaSquishyMan, Jun 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MegaSquishyMan

MegaSquishyMan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey all. I'm looking to squeeze a bit more room out of my HDD on my r3. I have this 13 gig recovery partition still. Is it completely retarded to delete it? Is it just a collection of the drivers that I can get off the website?. Also is removing it as simple as deleting the partition and then expanding my main partition into the newly cleaned out space? Or is the partition connected to some automatic backup and I have to remove it that way?

2. cct1

cct1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There's nothing special about the partition, any partition tool can delete it and expand the main one...BUT, that partition makes it SO easy to restore the computer after a problem, I would never delete it. Re-installing from a windows disc and then finding all the drivers on the website is lots of work. Restoring from the partition is a few clicks and then walk away for an hour and it's done. For me, it's not worth the 16GB that you will recover.:)

3. Alienware-L_Porras

Alienware-L_Porras Company Representative

Reputations:
    This is what you use the computer for.
    If you don't believe that you would ever use it you can delete it but as CCt1 states it is pretty simple to use when you have a system failure so I would recommend you to keep it.

4. KurtH

KurtH Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is not true at all there is a process you have to do to get it to work. Ive deleted it before and then it would throw a boot error. I have 4 8gb thumb drives with alienrespawn images for all my alienwares.

5. MasivB

MasivB Guest

Reputations:
    Hit 'Start' and type in search 'Disk Management' click on 'Create and format hard disk partions'
    In 'Disk Management' right click on the 'RECOVERY' partion and click 'Delete'

6. Rishwin

Rishwin Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It is not an archive of drivers, it is your factory restore image with your Windows installation on it as well as the drivers & all of the Alienware suites. If you want to delete it, first use AlienRespawn and backup a copy of it to a USB, you should only need 6GB. But it is dependent on what pre-installation settings you gave Dell so if you asked to have some Steam games installed they will also be in there taking up extra space.

7. MegaSquishyMan

MegaSquishyMan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    im trying to do this on a refurb m11xr3 i got. surprisingly it doesn't have alienrespawn installed on it like my m17x did when i got it. so does that change the situation at all? can one download alienrespawn someplace and then install it again?

8. tomcannon

tomcannon Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.