Removing Intel and Windows stickers the easiest and safest from the rubbery texture of Alienware

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by talijay, Sep 18, 2012.

1. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'd leave the Windows Certificate of Authentication on the bottom, as that's your product licence. As for the other stickers, what I would do is stick them on the underside of the machine. They are then out of sight.

2. DDDenniZZZ

DDDenniZZZ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Remove them, i moved my service tag, windows and intel stickers to under the battery just incase they peel or get damaged by sticking them on the bottom.

3. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Good thinking, mate :thumbsup:

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    How did you get the Windows COA and service tag decals removed without damaging them? I believe both are designed to self-destruct when that is attempted. I wish they would have put them under the battery to begin with on the M18x R1. That was a smart place to begin placing them with the M18x R2.

It was really stupid to install decals on the palm rest. Besides being very unaesthetic, it reminds me of a crappy budget system to see them being stuck there.

5. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    I used several of the methods the OP mentioned to remove decals and stickers of all sorts of stuffs. Sometimes successful, other times not so mucha. Then I was taught the "professional" way to do it. My former employer used professional decalers for all the vehicles and equips. They all taught me the same method: you use a razor blade to remove stickers and decals.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can get these at any hardware store for cheap. I was taught to hold the blade 30 degrees above parallel to the sticker's surface, and with minimal downward pressure, draw the blade towards the sticker in order to cut the underlying adhesive layer away from whatever it was attached to (vehicle door, laptop chassis, etc.). Once you catch an underlying corner and that decal's corner is 'cut' from the surface, you can pull up on that corner slightly whilst still moving forward with the blade to speed up the process. I've done this at least 100 times with vehicles and equipment without scratching any of them. I've done it with laptop decals probably a dozen times, two of which I removed the Windows COA and Service tag stickers without damaging them. Then I just reattached them with double sided tape. It takes practice, but I was taught the risk of scratching the underlying surface is minimal if you use a brand new blade since the cutting edge will be perfectly straight with no gouges or divots. Done properly, it will also not leave any adhesive residue behind. But that's just my two pence...

6. DDDenniZZZ

DDDenniZZZ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I just peeled them, no destruction of the stickers from what I saw, it lost maybe 10% of stickyness but it will still stick and the battery holds it in anyways. I just got paranoid that the bottom would just wear the stickers out eventually. I prefer the laptop looking bare too. The service tag was just a black plastic coated sticker I think.

7. Jayi

Jayi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Peel mine off today using the plastics from driving license :D
    Moved my windows COA easily without any destructive although it reduced the stickiness
    thanks for the tips OP :thumbsup:

8. Zo0r7y

Zo0r7y Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I removed my two palm rest stickers and i threw them away. They made my laptop look cheap. And afrer what ive just read it seems that throwing them away was a mistake... Meh.. ��

9. rickdeckard

rickdeckard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Using any sturdy piece of paper is as good as any post-it note, got mine off the palm rest effortlessly, great tip!

10. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I can see why someone thought removing stickers voids warranty because MSI is that way about their products. Though, I don't believe they refer to the Windows or Intel sticker. So, whoever was worried about voiding the warranty may be confusing 'seals' with 'stickers' on systems.