Removing Bloatware? Reinstall Win7?

Discussion in 'HP' started by LDuffey2011, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falco152

Falco152 Notebook Demon

Reputations:
    Odd, it's the same synaptic touchpad device still being used in the dv6/dv7 for the current and the past 3 generations. Just the only appearances was changed.

Oh well, I just have a bad history with Alps devices. :)

2. js1

js1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I tried running the MSI, but it seems to reconfigure the hard drive partitions back to normal (one C: partition and the recovery partitions).

Specifically, I like to install Windows on a 30gb C: drive and have everything else on the D: drive. Is is possible to get the MSI and manually configure the partitions?

3. Anthony1s

Anthony1s Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here's Endgaget's review of last year's dm4. They say the trackpad they used was the major problem with the laptop. HP Pavilion dm4 review -- Engadget

This video shows the Alps that replaced it. YouTube - ‪HP Pavilion dm4x review and slight performance test‬‏

Do you mean have Windows as a 30gb C: drive, then D: use the rest of the space for Recovery, Hp_Tools, System, as well as your program files and everything else you'd be saving? That seems kinda messy. Anyway, You can use gparted to reconfigure the partitions. It should be on any Ubuntu LiveCD. I don't suggest combining partitions. They are separate for a reason. I think the System partition is BIOS and is what boots your computer and decides what drive to boot.

If you know what you're doing more than I do, then yeah, use gparted. You can use it to resize and create new partitions too.

4. Falco152

Falco152 Notebook Demon

Reputations:
    Uh thx :) I'm aware of those issues but my point stands, it's the same synaptic device (not the dm4x :p) used in 4 generations of the dv series including the current one and the dm4 series. Just the functionality is fixed by changing the cosmetic of the buttons, which the workaround for those who have "no button" version was either create a deadzone or disable tap to click.

The other issue in that dm4 review was pretty much been resolved via driver updates for quite some time. :)

5. Anthony1s

Anthony1s Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a lot of distractions here, I misunderstood. I think I was trying to say that my dm4x has an Alps touchpad. I wonder why they didn't keep the Synaptics if the issues were fixed.

6. Falco152

Falco152 Notebook Demon

Reputations:
    Pretty much cost. Alps products are significantly cheaper than the Synaptics.
    Their software features are simple, but their reliability is uh is ok but have room for improvement.

Not many people take advantage of the special features that synaptics have anyway. Like gestures and stuff.

7. brian112358

brian112358 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The touchpad can be significantly improved with Reil's (envy) touchpad app (Reil's Envy Touchpad App). It comes with inertial 2-finger scroll, 2- and 3- finger right/middle button. Might have to tweak the settings a bit.

8. cotton_mouth

cotton_mouth Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    hey guys. i tried the MSI. i am barely even done installing all my software and i realise i have like 95 processes running in the background (which i think is a tad too much). i feel like just performing a clean install

9. Pyro87

Pyro87 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    pretty sure I looked thoroughly through this thread but maybe I missed the answer to this question..

I saw a list of what IS installed AFTER the MSI but I wanted to know if someone could provide me with a complete list of what is NOT installed compared to what is on the laptop when you receive it

10. sidvelu

sidvelu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think it was just Norton which was the only essential (considering its antivirus) software that comes uninstalled.

Also did the guy who has problems with his function keys, get his problem resolved? And will this happen to any of us if we do it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.