]]>

Remove stripped screw

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by Temp1234453, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Temp1234453

Temp1234453 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks,ill let you know how it goes once it arrives. The screw itself, it also of cheap quality, since the were new ones I ordered to change the original ones, which some were a bit stripped too, I guess thats why this one stripped so easily.
    WD40 isnt conductive,is it?

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

Reputations:
    FWIW I had to deal with a stripped screw on a laptop heatsink too, however in my case covering all surroundings with bubble wrap and taping the edges to avoid any metal dust getting on the mobo was much easier due to simpler heatsink design, allowing me to make a notch with Dremel-like rotary tool pretty easily.

Good luck, @Temp1234453 , and let us know it goes!

Mr. Fox likes this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Shouldn't be, but you'll want to be careful about getting the mist of it splattered all over the place and making a mess. Get a paper napkin and unfold it, make a little hole in the center and lay the hole over the screw. Then when you spray the splatter will land on the napkin. Or, better yet, spray some in the cap or some other small disposable container, then dob it on with a cotton swab.

4. fire3element

fire3element Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Could you not get a pair of fine tipped needle-nose pliers on it? It would require an incredible amount of clamping force, so you would need to squeeze as hard as you can on the pliers handles.
    Drilling and extracting is an option, but does come with risks. Either way, good luck.

5. Temp1234453

Temp1234453 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Im waiting for screw extractors to arrive to try the rubber band , and superglue methods before, so I try the 3 methods by dissassemblying the laptop just once.
    I will keep you updated.