Remove stripped screw

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by Temp1234453, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Shouldn't be, but you'll want to be careful about getting the mist of it splattered all over the place and making a mess. Get a paper napkin and unfold it, make a little hole in the center and lay the hole over the screw. Then when you spray the splatter will land on the napkin. Or, better yet, spray some in the cap or some other small disposable container, then dob it on with a cotton swab.

2. fire3element

fire3element Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Could you not get a pair of fine tipped needle-nose pliers on it? It would require an incredible amount of clamping force, so you would need to squeeze as hard as you can on the pliers handles.
    Drilling and extracting is an option, but does come with risks. Either way, good luck.

3. Temp1234453

Temp1234453 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Im waiting for screw extractors to arrive to try the rubber band , and superglue methods before, so I try the 3 methods by dissassemblying the laptop just once.
    I will keep you updated.

4. Temp1234453

Temp1234453 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry for the late answer, I received the screw extractor long time ago, but the handle I have is too small for them. A friend lended me a handle similar to this one ,but isnt suited for it.
    The laptop works fine so far, so I dunno if I should bother for now.

5. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  6. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    Care to elaborate on the difference? I'm mainly curious - I work in a metal fab shop, so knowing/understanding some of these technical subtleties can be quite important from time to time.

Maleko48 likes this.
  7. Maleko48

Reputations:
    Well what OP and that website link are dealing with are rounded out screw heads, which yes they are a PITA.

A stripped screw though is related to the shank of the screw or the screw hole itself getting ruined by over-tightening (most common) or sometimes even when the screw or fastener has been subject to a lot of harsh vibration and loosened from it's desired position while being subject to those vibrations causing it to either wallow out the hole larger or wear down the screw's threads to the point where it will not grab as necessary but instead just spins indefinitely regardless of which direction you are turning the fastener.

In other words as you turn it left to loosen it, it does not begin raising up/backing out of its hole like expected. And conversely you can tighten it by screwing the fastener to the right, but it will never actually tighten, but rather just spins in place forever.

Stripped screws are typically easier to extract than screws that have been rounded out or bolts that have been rounded off.

alexhawker likes this.
  8. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    Ahh, OK, now I know what you're talking about. Lots of semantic differences here.

I often hear/use just "stripped", rather than saying something like "the head of the screw is stripped". In the scenario you're describing, I would say the "threads in the hole are stripped" or something along those lines. I also definitely agree they're easier to remove.

Given OP said the screw is really tight, it's the head that's the issue, not the threads in the hole or on the shank.

Maleko48 likes this.
  9. Maleko48

Reputations:
    If it comes down to it, there are micro drill bit kits and/or screw extractors in the form of reverse taps.