Removal of GPU Thermal Limit

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Spartan, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Download ASUS GPUTweak II

you can simply use this to lift the 75c temperature limit on your computer's GPU that is often set by the manufacturer to cripple performance:

As long as your temps are fine around the 85-87C mark, then there is no reason to limit your laptop's GPU performance.

2019-09-28_180948.png

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    test0s, Vasudev, Arondel and 4 others like this.
  2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Too bad I didn't have this when I had my XPS 9570, that would have made a lot of difference.

Vasudev and Spartan like this.
  3. Vanya

Vanya Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Isn't it just possible with the Alienware CC ?

I got this option for the GPU :

Annotation 2019-09-28 181617.png

Don't worry I will test your Killer Control Center removal guide later today or tomorrow, I will have more time :)

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    The question is... Does it work properly with latest sBios and vBios? Or is it only a shiny number equal as in Alienware CC software?
    Maybe throw a bone to those who still have the notebook.

5. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This utility does work with Dell laptops with Nvidia GPUs including G7. Of course, the G7 already comes with 87c GPU thermal limit. So this is only useful if you have crippled laptops like XPS models where Dell intentionally lowers limit because of 2 small heatsinks which can barely cool CPU. Or the Eluktronics MAG-15 and similar laptops where Intel limits GPU for no good reason (the cooling system is much better than Dell XPS, with plenty of heatsinks with back and side air exhausts).

Spartan likes this.
  6. Papusan

Reputations:
    I didn't ask if it worked on Dell notebooks or not... Will it work when temp limit is lowered in firmware? Have you tested it on a Dell notbook with the temp cap already implemented in firmware?

Even Dell's own tool show 87℃ but this doesn't mean the higher temp limit works.
    [​IMG]

7. Felix_Argyle

Reputations:
    It will work if the temp limit is set to something like 74c by default, there are posts on Reddit which show this. You just can't go higher than 87c on any laptop.

8. Papusan

Reputations:
    Dell put the limit to was it 75 or was it 78℃. The ACC tool show 87℃ as max temp limit. But this doen't mean it will let the Gpu run above the limit put in firmware who is much lower.

9. Felix_Argyle

Reputations:
    Once again, the tool works for people with 73c or 75c thermal limit (whatever it is set by default), the original posts on r/Dell subreddit shows that:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/a27e1l/finally_permanently_fixed_dell_inspiron_power/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/d5jj0e/there_is_a_way_to_bypass_the_thermal_target_of/
    People have tested it with their laptops.

This is for Asus utility. I don't know about Alienware software since I don't use it and it is useless for people who do not own Alienware laptops.

Spartan likes this.
  10. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Funny, I was making a youtube video about this, didn't know it was already known.

HOWEVER, I am running into an issue. I'm on the newest 1.7.3 BIOS and original 200w vBIOS, Once my temps hit around 80-81C my clocks drop to 300Mhz and don't come back.

I tried UV in MSI Afterburner, GPU Tweak is set to 87C. Any ideas?