Remember that shifting problem? its not there :confused:

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by aan310, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Ok, so if you don't remember my problem, i was having issues shifting up and down to 2. It was grinding unless i shifted up to 2 at exactly 3k rpm, and down shifting was always quirky.

So today after my car was not driven for 2 days, it shifted perfectly, every time. So im figuring that its going to start acting up once im driving alot again but im wondering if this helps any one with my diagnosis...

I have been told:
    bad tranny
    Bad clutch
    Needs tranny oil
    needs clutch/linkage adjustment

I'm pretty sure its one of the last 2 (because if it was a bad tranny it would be doing it now and if it was a bad clutch it would be doing it in every gear).

So yea, does this help any one figure out what is causing it? (or am i spot on with oil and/or clutch adjustment)

2. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    u should've flushed and topped off all fluids the minute after u got the car.

what kind of clutch/linkage adjustment are u talkin about? if there was a problem in this area i'm sure the problem would prolly do that in other gears too.

if u have a bad clutch, there will be a smell after u drive yur car. it's a very distinct smell that i can't describe right now. could u describe some smells or any other symptoms? it kinda sounds like a bad synchro/gear.

3. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This is true, he said he recently changed it and the engine oil looked good, so i diddn't think about it.

and im not sure, that's just what i was told could be the problem. (adjustments)

and yea, i was pretty sure the clutch wasn't bad

as for a bad synchro i would not be surprised if it was, but that being said, why would it all of a sudden work perfectly after the car 'rested'

4. houstoned

Reputations:
    hmmm...

i really couldn't tell u much without seein and experiencing the problem first hand. what do u mean by quirky downshifts? does it not slip into gear easily?

the thing that's really throwin me off is that the problem seems RPM dependent.

5. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    yea, if i am going too fast, i can't downshift into 2 no matter what RPM im at (like if im in 4th going 30, i shift to 3 and am going like 25 and then downshift to 2, i cant downshift, it grinds too much) (obviously that is not a normal downshifting situation but it was something i tested) -but for normal downshifting, it will grind going in (usually jsut a little) if i don't get it just so (like upshifting to 2)

and yea, what is really confusing me is that it was no problems after sitting in the garage for 2 days too

6. houstoned

Reputations:
    well that's odd lol.

i really have no idea what it could be. have u tried to call a tuner shop or yur local racing/car forums? i don't really have much experience with breakin down trannys, so there's not much advice i can give u when it gets down to this technical stuff. i still think it has somethin to do with the gear/synchro. good luck man and hope u get the problem fixed.

7. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    well, when i take it in to have the actuator replaced i'll ask the guy what he thinks, i ahve a feeling this is just something im gona have to live with, which i'm ok with. I jsut posted because its SO weird that it went to normal after sitting for 2 days xD

8. houstoned

Reputations:
    that's cool man. hope everythin works out for ya! :D

if u'r cool with the problem then take yur time to come up with a solution. i advise that u do take care of it at one point or another tho. u can never know how well/bad the previous owner(s) drove the car and it's maintenance history. gears 1, 2, 3, & reverse are the most common gears to have a problem with. most ppl don't drive stick too well. :p

9. aan310

aan310 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thanks man, and yea, i'm not too worried about it, because all i have to do is shift at 3k and just dont downshift to 2 but yea, it would be nice to have fixed :D

Through a combination of me learning on it and the last people, im sure this car has had its fair wear on the clutch and tranny xD (2nd clutch actually, was changed at 20k)

10. Mimino

Mimino Notebook Communist

Reputations:
    did you not check the tranny fluid for color/smell? There is a dipstick on there, most likely driver's side that you can take out to check for fluid level and color/smell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.